Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Six ounces in three months.

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been ebf my LO and she has only gained six ouncs in three months. She is almost nine months. Dh is pushing to start formula and continue to breast feed as well.. The doctor really wants us to.

i know breast milk is best, but I feel so bad she gained spittle. She has good diaper count, meeting all milestones she is crawling and pulling up. She is super happy, any suggestion in diet change for me! 

Please no negativity! Thanks! 

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:04 AM
We want to help. To do so what was birth weight, lowest and all weights with ages to now? Also has she been checked for tongue tie and/or lip tie? You said diaper count is good so that means some is going in so I highly doubt it's a supply issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:13 AM

have you checked your LO for tongue tie? any history of weight loss or is she just slowly gaining?

MommaChelsea1
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:19 AM

At birth my DD was 6lbs 4 oz then when we left she was 5lbs 10oz. at 9 months she was barely 16lbs. So as long as she is gaining, and getting the nutrition she needs, I think she is fine. Have you started to give her any baby food/table food? That too will help with weight gain! We started my DD at 6 months because formula just wasnt doing enough for her.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Solids normally slow weight gain.

Quoting MommaChelsea1:

At birth my DD was 6lbs 4 oz then when we left she was 5lbs 10oz. at 9 months she was barely 16lbs. So as long as she is gaining, and getting the nutrition she needs, I think she is fine. Have you started to give her any baby food/table food? That too will help with weight gain! We started my DD at 6 months because formula just wasnt doing enough for her.

MommaChelsea1
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My DD's pediatrician said it will help with weight gain. Sorry if that was false info, but its what her ped. said

Quoting shortyali:

Quoting MommaChelsea1:

mytime87
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
My ds only gained 2 oz from month 4 to 6. My pedi said there's nothing wrong with it, as long as he's eating, active and meeting milestones.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Solids have less calories than breastmilk does and what solids do have is not processed as well by babies body as breastmilk is. It's very common to see weight gain slow after solids are started.

Quoting MommaChelsea1:

My DD's pediatrician said it will help with weight gain. Sorry if that was false info, but its what her ped. said

Quoting shortyali:

Quoting MommaChelsea1:

nolazimmer
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

How did you get that number? Her weight right mow is 15 lb 4 ozs

Quoting gdiamante:

8/2 birth weight? Sorry I have to keep asking but the detail is important and ACTUAL weights will make a HUGE difference in being able to help you.

I'm going to presume that's birth weight. 130 ounces. 10% expected loss takes baby to a lowest weight of 117 ounces, AKA 7/5.

By eight months, with expected gain of one pound per month, we'd be looking for a weight of about 15/5.

So what's the actual weight? Month to month gain doesn't matter... overall gain in her lifetime does.

Quoting nolazimmer:

8 lb2 oz at weight

Quoting gdiamante:

Seven pounds from BIRTH weight or lowest weight? Big difference. 

Quoting nolazimmer:

Seven pounds in 8 1/2 months

Quoting gdiamante:

Plateauing in gain is normal after six months... what's the overall weight history? If she's meeting milestones that is what really counts. Not the weight.

nolazimmer
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM

She is not tounge tie. She has super long tounge lol yes she actually lost weight at her six month check up. At 4 months she weighed 14/12 oz and six month she weighed 14 lb 10 oz. she lost and dropped frm 50 th percentile to tenth. She is tall though.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

have you checked your LO for tongue tie? any history of weight loss or is she just slowly gaining?

nolazimmer
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Birth weight 8 lb 2 ounces. Two months 10 lb 5 ounces, four months 14 lb 12,  6 months 14 lbs 10. 7 months 15 pounds now 8 1/2 months 15 lbs 4 ounces.nshe is not tounge tie. Not sure what lip re is. I will google it. Diaper count she has like four poopy ones a day. 

Quoting shortyali:

We want to help. To do so what was birth weight, lowest and all weights with ages to now? Also has she been checked for tongue tie and/or lip tie? You said diaper count is good so that means some is going in so I highly doubt it's a supply issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)