Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Six ounces in three months.

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been ebf my LO and she has only gained six ouncs in three months. She is almost nine months. Dh is pushing to start formula and continue to breast feed as well.. The doctor really wants us to.

i know breast milk is best, but I feel so bad she gained spittle. She has good diaper count, meeting all milestones she is crawling and pulling up. She is super happy, any suggestion in diet change for me! 

Please no negativity! Thanks! 

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Replies (21-30):
nolazimmer
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Lip tie maybe kinda  looks like it

Quoting nolazimmer:

Birth weight 8 lb 2 ounces. Two months 10 lb 5 ounces, four months 14 lb 12,  6 months 14 lbs 10. 7 months 15 pounds now 8 1/2 months 15 lbs 4 ounces.nshe is not tounge tie. Not sure what lip re is. I will google it. Diaper count she has like four poopy ones a day. 

Quoting shortyali:

We want to help. To do so what was birth weight, lowest and all weights with ages to now? Also has she been checked for tongue tie and/or lip tie? You said diaper count is good so that means some is going in so I highly doubt it's a supply issue.

nolazimmer
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Leo thanks for helping, I'm seeking a second opinion tomorrow rom a different doctor 

Quoting nolazimmer:

Lip tie no. 

Quoting nolazimmer:

Birth weight 8 lb 2 ounces. Two months 10 lb 5 ounces, four months 14 lb 12,  6 months 14 lbs 10. 7 months 15 pounds now 8 1/2 months 15 lbs 4 ounces.nshe is not tounge tie. Not sure what lip re is. I will google it. Diaper count she has like four poopy ones a day. 

Quoting shortyali:

We want to help. To do so what was birth weight, lowest and all weights with ages to now? Also has she been checked for tongue tie and/or lip tie? You said diaper count is good so that means some is going in so I highly doubt it's a supply issue.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:11 AM
How G got the lowest weight number is to subtract 10% from the birth weight because for a normal, vaginal birth a loss of up to 10% is expected. Here's her weights broken down some to make it easier to understand:

Birth weight 8 lb 2oz - 130oz

13 oz - 10% loss

Lowest - 117 oz

Two months 10 lb 5oz - 165oz

four months 14 lb 12 - 236oz

6 months 14 lbs 10 - 234oz

7 months 15 pounds - 240oz

8.5 months 15 lbs 4oz - 244oz

So if we take her weight now in ozs and subtract lowest weight then she is just 1oz shy of the 1lb a month expected which isn't a huge concern. Also if these were done on different scales I wouldn't stress about weight to much either.

Quoting nolazimmer:

Quoting shortyali:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM

having a short tongue and nott being able to stick it out is a myth, i am tongue tied and have a really long tongue, since she lost weight you should check yourself, it couldd be a posterior tie which is hidden and needs to be felt for because it cant be seen.

havQuoting nolazimmer:

She is not tounge tie. She has super long tounge lol yes she actually lost weight at her six month check up. At 4 months she weighed 14/12 oz and six month she weighed 14 lb 10 oz. she lost and dropped frm 50 th percentile to tenth. She is tall though.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

have you checked your LO for tongue tie? any history of weight loss or is she just slowly gaining?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Lip ties are often accompanied by posterior tongue ties.  Both my boys and I have them, even with our long tongues.  A posterior tie prevents the middle and back of baby's tongue from working properly to transfer milk, which can cause gain to stall once supply regulates.

Is My Baby Tongue-tied?

Now that more mothers are breastfeeding, tongue-tie (ankyloglossia) is on the forefront of medical research again. Some tongue-tied babies breastfeed without difficulty, others cause their mother pain, don't get enough milk, or have difficulty swallowing properly and are very unhappy during and after feeding.

If you are concerned that your baby may be tongue-tied, the following may help you decide if you need more help. An IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) can help with breastfeeding, and many different dentists and doctors can help if your baby needs treatment for tongue-tie. Seehttp://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml for a list of doctors and dentists who are particularly good at diagnosing and treating tongue-tie.

The first thing to assess is whether your baby can stick out his or her tongue. If you touch your baby's lips, he will probably open his mouth. You can then touch the front of his lower gum with your fingertip. This makes him stick the tongue out. We want to see the tongue come out flat over the lip, without dipping down or pointing down. If your baby can only stick his tongue out when his mouth is closed, that can indicate a posterior (further back) tongue-tie.

Next, we want to see if your baby can lift her tongue way up to the roof of the mouth. All the way up is perfect, half way is enough for most babies to be able to breastfeed. Again, her mouth should be wide open. Most tongue-tied babies can only lift their tongues when their mouths are mostly closed.

Obvious and Sneakier Tongue-ties:

This baby (figure 3) has an obvious tongue-tie. You can see the membrane right at the front of the tongue, and you can see how it makes it hard for him to lift his tongue up.

figure 3

The baby in figure 4 is also tongue-tied. If you run your finger along the outside of a baby's lower gum, her tongue will try to follow. If the tongue twists like this, it's a sign of tongue-tie.

figure 4

The baby in figure 5 has a sneaky (posterior) tongue-tie. You can see that it is difficult to get a finger under the tongue. If you press on the front of the little membrane under the tongue (the frenulum), a tied tongue will pull down in the center like this. This shows that the frenulum is tight and does not allow the tongue to move well. This diagnostic trick is called the Murphy Maneuver after Dr. Jim Murphy of California.

figure 5

Figure 6 shows a very sneaky tongue-tie - a posterior or submucosal one. The frenulum (membrane holding the tongue down) is hiding behind the floor of the mouth (the oral mucosa). You can see that the tongue doesn't lift very well, and that the floor of the mouth is tented out a little.

figure 6
figure 7

Notice how when the baby in figure 6 tries to lift her tongue (figure 7), nothing at all is visible except the limited ability to lift the tongue up.

Again, some babies with posterior or submucosal tongue-tie can breastfeed, others have a lot of difficulty. Moms breast and nipple shape and milk supply can make things easier or more difficult for the baby.

The best way to diagnose a posterior tongue-tie is to lift the tongue with a grooved director. Doctors who treat tongue-tie usually have one.

The final thing to do is watch your baby cry. If only the edges of the tongue curl up like in figure 9, that's a sure sign that the frenulum is tight.

figure 9

Now that you have an idea whether your baby has normal tongue movement ability or not, you can decide what kind of help may be most useful.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Because she's awesome! :)

I would say you're fine! As long as your baby is meeting milestones and gaining some, you're good! Wheb babies start to crawl/walk, weight gain slows down or even stops! Don't look at lip/tongue ties unless you really suspect that is your issue, which it doesn't sound like it is...

Quoting nolazimmer:

How did you get that number? Her weight right mow is 15 lb 4 ozs

Quoting gdiamante:

8/2 birth weight? Sorry I have to keep asking but the detail is important and ACTUAL weights will make a HUGE difference in being able to help you.

I'm going to presume that's birth weight. 130 ounces. 10% expected loss takes baby to a lowest weight of 117 ounces, AKA 7/5.

By eight months, with expected gain of one pound per month, we'd be looking for a weight of about 15/5.

So what's the actual weight? Month to month gain doesn't matter... overall gain in her lifetime does.

Quoting nolazimmer:

8 lb2 oz at weight

Quoting gdiamante:

Seven pounds from BIRTH weight or lowest weight? Big difference. 

Quoting nolazimmer:

Seven pounds in 8 1/2 months

Quoting gdiamante:

Plateauing in gain is normal after six months... what's the overall weight history? If she's meeting milestones that is what really counts. Not the weight.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MT14838
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Find a new Ped. if possible, as well as a BF support group.  Ebf children do plateau, and if she is really active..  My healthy 10-month-old only gained about 6 ounces between 6 and 9 months too, and we are not worried at all.  :)  At this point, she should also be doing jarred food and starting on finger foods if she will eat them.

Looking back at what you put for the history, I was wonderring why she lost weight.. but since she gained it back and is still feeding fine, it shouldn't be a concern. 

Above all, don't get worried.  It sounds like she is doing fine.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Sorry for the dealy in getting back to you; I was offline yesterday.

Quoting nolazimmer:

How did you get that number? Her weight right mow is 15 lb 4 ozs

Then she's PERFECT. Here's how you calculate the numbers.

Birth weight... convert to ounces by multiplying punds  x 16 + number of ounces. In your case that's 8 x 16 + 2 = 130. 

You do the conversion to calculate lowest weight when you don't have an actual lowest weight (which is often nowhere near discharge weight). 130 x .9 = 117 (birthweight minus 10%).

Then convert those ounces back to pounds/ounces. You *can* do it by dividing the ounces by 16 but you won't get the actual ounces. It will give you the pounds. Seven pounds happens to be 112 ounces. Add five ounces to that and you have seven pounds five ounces.

From there... one pound per month. Seven pounds five ounces plus eight months. 7 + 8 = 15 pounds. Plus five ounces.

And I never thought math would be useful! 

Quoting gdiamante:

8/2 birth weight? Sorry I have to keep asking but the detail is important and ACTUAL weights will make a HUGE difference in being able to help you.

I'm going to presume that's birth weight. 130 ounces. 10% expected loss takes baby to a lowest weight of 117 ounces, AKA 7/5.

By eight months, with expected gain of one pound per month, we'd be looking for a weight of about 15/5.

So what's the actual weight? Month to month gain doesn't matter... overall gain in her lifetime does.

nolazimmer
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I got a second opinion.. The new doctor is pro breastfeeding. She said Lily is healthy but a little skinny. So she the doctor said it possibly my supply and she gave me a prescription for donperdone to help my supply hopefully it does.im praying that the prescription woks. She wants lily to eat more protein, but for me to continue breastfeeding. 

Also I'm on the mini pill which can decrease my supply. I love this new doctor. She is great!

Quoting MT14838:

Find a new Ped. if possible, as well as a BF support group.  Ebf children do plateau, and if she is really active..  My healthy 10-month-old only gained about 6 ounces between 6 and 9 months too, and we are not worried at all.  :)  At this point, she should also be doing jarred food and starting on finger foods if she will eat them.

Looking back at what you put for the history, I was wonderring why she lost weight.. but since she gained it back and is still feeding fine, it shouldn't be a concern. 

Above all, don't get worried.  It sounds like she is doing fine.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Your supply is NOT an issue as evidenced by the diaper count!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)