Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

i feel like i am going bald...

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM
  • 19 Replies
im confused... same vitamins/etc for both pregnancies..

i didnt go bald after first dd.... nursing dd2 ( she just turned 5 months)... and i swear i am going bald. every time i brush, wash my hair, anything it feels like im lossing a lot of hair. i am getting crazy cravings/wanting to eat a lot.

is this normal? didnt happen with dd and i nursed her over a year. im not sure/saying bf is causing the hair loss...

but i keep being told cravings are from breastfeeding or missing something in my diet as a bf woman. is the hair loss from a bad diet?

i eat a ton of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, healthy meats, yogrut, cheese, etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:24 AM
I've lost clumps of hair with all 4 of mine from 4 months postpartum. I would catch the gob of hair in the shower and stick it in the side of the tub. If I forgot it there the kids were horrified. Then I'd have another clump when I dried it.

It's a post partum hormone thing, no relation to breaatfeeding or vitamins. When you're pregnant your everyday hair loss slows down. After pregnancy it falls out again and the "catch up" has all that extra hair falling out.

Sadly it's normal and unavoidable. The hair on the sides of my head always gets especially thin and I can't pull my hair back. Then it grows back and the little hairs stick straight out.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:25 AM
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/hairloss/
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM
FAQ: Does Breastfeeding Cause Postpartum Hair Loss?
JULY 27, 2011. Posted in: BF CONCERNS: MOTHER
More Sharing Services
By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

Postpartum hair loss is a normal – and temporary – postpartum change that is unrelated to breastfeeding. Most women will return to their usual hair growth cycle between 6 and 12 months after birth.

Many new moms notice hair loss – sometimes quite dramatic – around three months postpartum. This is a normal – and temporary – postpartum change that is unrelated to breastfeeding.

Following is how the hair growth cycle works:

All hair has a growth phase, termed anagen, and a resting phase, telogen. On the scalp, anagen lasts approximately 3 years, while telogen lasts roughly 3 months, although there can be wide variation in these times between individuals. During telogen, the resting hair remains in the follicle until it is pushed out by growth of a new anagen hair.

– from Telogen Effluvium by Elizabeth CW Hughes, MD

Normally, around 85-95% of your hair is in the growth phase at any point in time, but the hormonal changes during pregnancy stimulate an increase in the percentage of hairs in the growth phase. As a result, many women enjoy thicker hair during pregnancy, as more hairs than normal are growing and fewer than normal are resting/shedding.

With the birth of your baby (and the hormonal changes that accompany birth), a larger number of hairs than normal enter the resting phase. Since the resting phase is followed by hair shedding (and regrowth), new mothers will experience greater than normal hair loss once the resting phase ends.

Postpartum hair loss commonly starts at around three months after birth. The amount of time between childbirth and the onset of shedding corresponds to the length of the resting phase of hair growth (between 1 and 6 months, with an average of three months). The hair loss can seem more extreme if your hair grew much more than normal during pregnancy, or if you have long hair. Most women will return to their usual hair growth cycle within six months, or between 6 and 12 months after birth.

If you feel that your hair loss is greater than the norm, or if things are not back to normal by the time your baby is 12 months old, then see your doctor. Excessive hair loss can be caused by common and easy-to-remedy postpartum conditions such as hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) or iron-deficiency anemia.

What can you do while you wait for your hair to return to its normal growth cycle?

Get a good haircut. Some moms choose this time to get a shorter haircut or one that requires less care.
Experiment with different hairstyles.
A good quality shampoo and conditioner may help.
Try different styling products, such as mousses or texturizers that “bulk up” the appearance of your hair.
Avoid using a brush or comb that pulls or stresses the hair.
MamaSince2005
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I lost a lot of hair when I breastfed my ds. When he was around 5 months old, we both lost our hair. Ds looked almost bald. And all my hair in front fell out. Every time I washed my hair or brushed it. I couldn't even put my hair up b/c you could see my receding hair line. I lost all my bangs. It was horrible. Finally started growing my hair back last year. I'm breastfeeding again a new baby. I hope I don't lose my hair again!
I was thinking I was missing something in my diet too.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Normal! It's definitely not from breastfeeding. Your body doesn't shed hair while pregnant, so when it finally does after baby is born, it's ALOT!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Normal normal normal

When you're pregnant, your body ramps up production of fast-growing cells (like hair) and you don't lose the hairs that you normally would.  For example, blondes typically lose  150-300 hairs a day, so multiply that by 12 months worth of days and you can get an idea of how many hairs your body will let go of between 3 and 5 months postpartum.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM
All my formula-feeding moms lost hair, too.
Bells2000
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM
yay! i was starting to wonder if i should see a dr about it. it just didnt seem like this after my first.. and now every time i brush my hair it feels like there is more hair on the brush than my head!

im glad its not my diet.. i keep trying to eat healthier day by day, in hopes to lose some weight without messing up my milk supply.. no luck yet!

thanks all!!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Normal, because you lose very little during pregnancy. However, if your nails are cracking and you feel cold all the time, you may have low thyroid function, which can happen after pregnancy. Get it checked.
Dvegas
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I Was freaked out at first to but yes it is totally normal to loose hair after the baby is born. you have all this hair that grew while pregnant now it time for your hair growth cycle to get back to what it was pre pregnancy so you loose that extra hair. As for the cravings during breastfeeding also totally normal. you loose a lot of calories breastfeeding so of course you are going to be hungry. I  ended up eating more after the baby was born then when i was actually pregant. I am slowing down on the pumping and breastfeeding  so now i am not as hungry anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN