Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am i Wrong?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 53 Replies

I know that having a baby is a big life change, and I'm about to have one. But is it wrong for me to think that because I'm going to breast feed i can still live a normal life? My MIL keeps telling me that i wont be able to do the things that i normally do and i wont be able to leave my baby for a couple hours. There is no question that I'm going to breast feed. But i don't want to give up all the things that i love to do. Am i wrong to think this?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmom121812
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Not wrong. But in the first few weeks baby eats about every two hours in my experiance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pipers_mom
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
No! You can breastfeed and still have a life. If DH and I want to go out for three or less hours, I just nurse before we leave and when we get back. If we'll be gone for more then 3 hours I pump and put the correct amount per feeding in individual bottles, and let whoever is babysitting know how to feed the baby (usually MIL and she's really good about following my rules.) We try to go places where we can take the kids, but sometimes we just need a few child free hours to reconnect with each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amesstobemade
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

No wrong... you will just get to do those things with a baby on your boob! Totally worth it <3

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
The first six weeks or so are pretty demanding bit beyond that you could leave the baby for a couple of hours here and there if you wanted to. Though, be warned that your desires may change. I've never wanted to leave my nursing babies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

well unless byou have a puno- leaving the baby for a couple hours wont happen for a little while. I know Abigail is four months and I havent been able to leave her for more than fifteen minutes

as for not living a normal life- thats bull. you can breastfeed on the go. and as for leaving baby- you probably wont even want to for a while.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Look into to babywearing! Master handfree nursing and you are pretty much free to do what ever you want to do. :) 
I never wanted to leave my babies, so I just brought them along. Yes, having a baby is a life changing experience. You may not **want** to do the same things. That's ok. You may want to. That's ok. Don't let anyone bring you down. You can do anything!  

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I bf. Just pump. I kept a manual pump in my purse. Bm keeps room temp for like 5 hours. Your shouldn't be gone that long. If you do, keep a small thermal bag and one of those disposable ice packs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Davidsmomma1409
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Also my MIL told me not to buy a breast pump until after davids here, is this good or really bad advice 

AudlyLuvly
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I've left my week and a half old to take my dd to a birthday party for an hour. So, yes.. you can leave baby for small periods of time (or longer if you pump and leave milk)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Don't listen to your mil... I have 3 kids my smallest is breastfeed and I go out. ( not alot ) but once a month I have a mno with my friends. What things do you like to do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)