Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

? about bls

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

lo will be 5 months this month, does not sit unassisted yet... but is very very curious about food. he loves to watch us eat! he puts his hand to mouth like he is eating too and then does something with his tongue behind his lips that makes it look like he is chewing something! dh thinks this means we should give him some purees just so he can "taste" not really feed him whole meals... i dont have a problem with that idea but i feel like he is still too young. is this really him showing us he wants food?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
justone_jen
by Jen on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
No. Mine reaches for EVERYTHING I have. I didn't assume she was ready for knives because of it. :P

Six months, sitting unassisted, and a developed pincer grasp are what you need to see before you offer, mama. Wait it out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Nope. I used to intently watch my dad smoking cigarettes, and when I was older mimic him. Doesn't mean I was ready to take a puff. **smile**

The most important readiness factor is one you cannot see. That's baby's open gut. It closes at six months. 

misasue
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

that's been my position on it pretty much... but being surrounded by people who swear my child is trying to eat had me self doubting! 

Quoting justone_jen:

No. Mine reaches for EVERYTHING I have. I didn't assume she was ready for knives because of it. :P

Six months, sitting unassisted, and a developed pincer grasp are what you need to see before you offer, mama. Wait it out.

misasue
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Nope. I used to intently watch my dad smoking cigarettes, and when I was older mimic him. Doesn't mean I was ready to take a puff. **smile**

The most important readiness factor is one you cannot see. That's baby's open gut. It closes at six months.  I did not know this! I knew capacity was very small and I've been able to hold off  people trying to let lo "taste of " food with that fact 

justone_jen
by Jen on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I defended my position with, "Her doctor says xyz," and they shut up. I've learned over time to just say, "No," and leave it. You don't owe anyone an explanation! :)

Quoting misasue:

that's been my position on it pretty much... but being surrounded by people who swear my child is trying to eat had me self doubting! 

Quoting justone_jen:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)