Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Before anyone bashes me, this isn't about me. I'm asking because I'm curious.

Posted by   + Show Post

Which is more important:

temporarily being on public assistance and temporarily receiving food stamps so you can breastfeed

or both parents working full time jobs and the child being forced to go on formula?

and not all moms can successfully pump.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Replies (31-40):
MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

No one here bashes you. I haven't seen it. :) I've seen people trying to be supportive and remind you that you are capable. :) As for your question I would say that it depends. I have a disability, so I get assistance, and my husband is military. Many people aren't in a position where their husband's job will cover all the bills (even cutting out non-essentials. Sometimes taking a job is necessary and while most women can BF there are many that don't respond to pumps. On the other hand many caregivers overfeed. It's important to make sure baby isn't over fed. Another option for mom is to encourage reverse cycling, which means taking very little during separation and nursing on demand when mom and baby are together (this is not as workable if mom works early morning shift when production is highest). Another is to have baby take solids (if over 6 months) with the care provider and nurse with mom. And before formula there is always donor milk (1-1.25oz/hr). If mom chooses formula that is her right, but it's important that she knows her options. :)

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM
5 moms liked this

My answer...  'none of the above.' Welfare should be for emergencies, with no other choice. I am not anti-welfare.. I am anti- welfare abuse. In this hypothetical scenario.. one mom who desires to breastfeed but does not respond to a pump might have to return to work, formula feed, and pay taxes which fund welfare so another mother can afford to be a stay at home mom and breastfeed. Somehow, that does not seem fair.. :o/  On a more personal note.... my husband would have to work longer, harder hours and I would have had to work longer, harder hours in the past and saved up more, so we could financially support not only our lifestyle but someone else's, which we support through taxes.... no, I don't think so. And I am about as big of a lactivist as they come!

I subscribe to the belief 'one person's rights ends where another person's rights begin.' "We" (working taxpayers, past/present) should not pay taxes to fund a lifestyle choice. The terms "breastfeeding mom" and "stay at home mom" are not mutually exclusive.. though being a sahm makes breastfeeding easier, working does not exclude a mom from breastfeeding. If a mom does not respond to a pump, there are other options that do not lead to "collect welfare so mom can breastfeed."   Other options.. not having a baby until financially stable, saving up before baby, spouse having career with adequate salary, spouse having second (or more) jobs to supplement income, having a job where mom keeps child with her (nanny, housekeeper), having a job with onsite daycare (mom nurses lunch/ breaks), work at home mom, *training* breasts to respond to pump, hand expression,  reverse cycling, donor milk, having a wetnurse, and there are more options but hopefully my point was made.. :o)

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I received WIC for a while after I decided not to return to work. I would have paid my whole salary for daycare in my area and would not have been given my breaks to pump (illegal but true), so my husband and I made the choice for me to stay home and go back to school. I figure the money I get temporarily from the government I will give back and more when I getter a higher paying job and pay more taxes for the next 30-40 years. I figure it's the government's investment in me, and I am a safer bet than AIG. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree that child care is a completely different issue than not being able to pump!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I received WIC for a while after I decided not to return to work. I would have paid my whole salary for daycare in my area and would not have been given my breaks to pump (illegal but true), so my husband and I made the choice for me to stay home and go back to school. I figure the money I get temporarily from the government I will give back and more when I getter a higher paying job and pay more taxes for the next 30-40 years. I figure it's the government's investment in me, and I am a safer bet than AIG. :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bec94
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Here's the thing, if you can't get anything when pumping, formula feed while at work and nurse when home. You can do both if you want to.

Quoting kfroz0415:

Those really aren't the only two options, since you can work and breastfeed. 

BUT if there's some reason mom cannot pump, then I wouldn't think much of it as long as there was a plan in place for mom to go back to work ASAP. Honestly I would think she could go at least part time once baby starts solids and can go 5 - 6 hours without nursing. Then full time when baby was nursing only once or twice a day.

For example with my son I could have worked part time without worrying about pumping around 9 months then I could have worked a full 8 hours without him wanting to nurse around 13 months, since he would nurse once when he first woke up and once as he was going to sleep. 

Sexy_Yessi
by Yesenia on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats true maybe in that case other alternatives may come into play i had a hard time having a let down so i would also nurse my son in my lunch break.

Quoting vinalex0581:

not all moms can succussfully pump

Quoting Sexy_Yessi:

I am currently nursing my 31 month old baby..work 40 hours and he goes to daycare. He never took formula. I use to pump at work.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

EHHh I would go on food stamps, we had to make the choice for one parent to stay home and end up getting assistance when my 3rd child was diganosed FTT after starting daycare, when home he thrived when in daycare he did not.  I could barely pump but that wasnt the issue.  HUBS is now a SAHD and we do get assistance but I am also a full time teacher, its not like I dont work my butt off everyday

AND btw I do have 3 jobs and hubby babysits all day long too!

kfroz0415
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, that is what I would suggest too. I was said it wasn't the only two options, I was just going off the hypothetical we were given.

Quoting bec94:

Here's the thing, if you can't get anything when pumping, formula feed while at work and nurse when home. You can do both if you want to.

Quoting kfroz0415:

Those really aren't the only two options, since you can work and breastfeed. 

BUT if there's some reason mom cannot pump, then I wouldn't think much of it as long as there was a plan in place for mom to go back to work ASAP. Honestly I would think she could go at least part time once baby starts solids and can go 5 - 6 hours without nursing. Then full time when baby was nursing only once or twice a day.

For example with my son I could have worked part time without worrying about pumping around 9 months then I could have worked a full 8 hours without him wanting to nurse around 13 months, since he would nurse once when he first woke up and once as he was going to sleep. 

christineT79
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM
5 moms liked this

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a mom staying home & collecting help as long as it's not gonna be for years on end. I hate when people say that it's not fair for the tax payers when if you worked in the past you've paid your taxes too. It's one thing when people are on assistance for decades but it's another for someone who has worked in the past & need help short term like 6 months or a year. Just my two cents.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a sahm and am on public assistance. My kids receive state health care and we get a small amount of food stamps. Yes i could go back to work but lets look at our options. I looked into day cares and in my area it's $200 a week. At my last job i made $300 a week max. I used $40 in gas and my older son had to go to afterschool care for $30 a week. I don't do it just because i breastfeed but it is a plus. I would rather not be on public assistance. I hope to go to an ekg tech program starting in march though
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)