Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast feeding need advice!!

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:47 AM
  • 9 Replies
I have a 17 month old dd that I ebf and I have a 8 week old ds that I am also ebfing. I tried to ween my dd when my ds was born and she pretty much was done with the boobie but recently she's been wanting to breast feed. Even during the day when I had her weened from that when she was about 13 months. I would let her but it seems like I don't have enough milk. My ds towards the end of the day acts like there isn't enough milk coming out. He latches on sucks a Lil bit and then pulls away a screams. He acts like he is not getting enough. Also I realized the my milk barely has any fat in it at all. When I put it in the fridge only a very thin layer of fat goes to the top. Idk what to do cuz if I feel like there's not enough for my ds I can't let my dd have some cuz I think there's not enough. What should I do? I found the mothers milk tea and bought it yesterday. So I'm ganna start drinking that and see how it works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Normal behavior with the 8wo. Its very common to see clusterfeeding in the evening. How is his diaper count in a 24hr period?
Bf 2 will actually give you a larger supply. There is always milk there.
As far as fat content thatdoesnt matter. Overall calories are still the same. When i pump there usually isnt any fat layer or very very little
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
^^what she said! The only thing I might think about is letting lo eat first dd second.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
When I tandem nursed, my firstborn went back to full time nursing for a few months I think it was a combination of jealousy of the newborn and the return of the milk after pregnancy.

I always gave the older child the empty breast and limited her time as well. It is normal for any baby to be irritable and cluster feed in the evenings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually, allowing your toddler to nurse will be good for your supply! Just let your infant nurse first.

No such thing as not enough fat in your milk, you can't tell by looking at it. The amount of fat in your milk is constatnly chaning, and it is common when pumping to not get out the fattiest milk that comes when the breast has less milk in it, the pump just does not work as well as the baby does.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
What they said! ^^^
Nursing your older child will not take anything away from the baby. It is actually great for your supply. The more milk that is removed from the breast, the more milk you will make. The way that the baby is acting at night is completely normal newborn nighttime fussiness and cluster feeding. It does NOT mean that he's not getting enough milk. He's just a normal 8 week old. How many diapers are you changing in 24 hours? If the answer is 6 or more, he's getting plenty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Your milk is perfect. Your new baby is fussy and wanting to nurse more often to increase supply. Just nurse both on demand and keep yourself fed & watered. You will make plenty. If your youngest is making 6-8 diapers each day (poop, extra wet count as two), he's getting plenty!
Lara-Mom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Only let your older child nurse after the baby, to make sure the baby gets enough. Letting your older child nurse after will help tell your body to make more, so it's actually helping the baby!

You are doing an awesome job, mama. Keep it up! :)

fancyface8782
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Thanks u guys. All ur comments were very nice and helpful. Well then I guess I'll let my dd nurse if she wants to. And yes my ds has plenty of wet and poopy diapers so I'm pretty sure he's ok. Thanks again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Your milk will regulate itself dont worry. Its the same thing when your baby goes through a growth spurt. And your milk will naturaly change to meet the babys needs. I think just always let your new baby get first dibs on the milk and it will be fine...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)