Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding essentials?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM
  • 15 Replies

So as some of you may know I am new to cafe mom as of yesterday. I am also blessed to with my first child! YAY ME!!!happyI recently took a breastfeeding class through my health care provider, but I still was wondering What all I need to buy to make sure I have everything I need the first month of breastfeeding? I was also wondering do I need to buy a pump just in case I get home and I am unable to nurse? Or what about formula if for some reason my breast dry up? In which case what is the best formula to buy? Ahhhhhh I feel so overwhelmed. Please help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Ashley 

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Correct information, Breasts , baby and water. Those are the essentials. (Water is for you to drink by the way, lots of it!)

Look into the books "so that's what they're for" and "the womanly art of breastfeeding".

Most moms that "can't nurse" actually are doing fine but are given horrible advice by doctors. (Inappropriate weight gain requirements, limiting time at the breast, pushing supplements).

Learn what is normal vs not and stick around here and read posts. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll pick it up.

Also watch for the mods responses. Occasionally moms will post with something that worked for them and mods will address things that aren't best practice advice. We operate in this group based on research and empirical evidence, not anecdotal "it worked for me so it must be ok" type evidence.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sophiasmommy798
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Ok thank you so much!
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM
This! Maybe nursing pads too.

A pump and formula aren't necessary to have just in case. Don't doubt, you CAN do it!!!!

Education and trusting your body are the keys to success!!!!

Kellymom.com and this group are great resources:-)

Quoting audmom1218:

Correct information, Breasts , baby and water. Those are the essentials. (Water is for you to drink by the way, lots of it!)

Look into the books "so that's what they're for" and "the womanly art of breastfeeding".

Most moms that "can't nurse" actually are doing fine but are given horrible advice by doctors. (Inappropriate weight gain requirements, limiting time at the breast, pushing supplements).

Learn what is normal vs not and stick around here and read posts. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll pick it up.

Also watch for the mods responses. Occasionally moms will post with something that worked for them and mods will address things that aren't best practice advice. We operate in this group based on research and empirical evidence, not anecdotal "it worked for me so it must be ok" type evidence.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Agreed

Quoting audmom1218:

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Quoting sophiasmommy798:

So as some of you may know I am new to cafe mom as of yesterday. I am also blessed to with my first child! YAY ME!!!happy Welcome & Congrats!

I recently took a breastfeeding class through my health care provider, but I still was wondering What all I need to buy to make sure I have everything I need the first month of breastfeeding?Only thing I needed , truely needed was breast pads & I made those out of flannel.

I was also wondering do I need to buy a pump just in case I get home and I am unable to nurse?I personally wouldn't, unless you're going back to work. Chances of you being unable to nurse are REALLY slim.

Or what about formula if for some reason my breast dry up? In which case what is the best formula to buy?I strongly advise to NOT have any formula on hand, it's too much of an uneeded temptation. IAlso your breasts don't just dry up unless you are pregnant or  on hormonal birth control. It takes months & sometimes years to dry up otherwise.(haven't nursed in 2 yrs & still have milk)

Ahhhhhh I feel so overwhelmed. Please help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Ashley 

Calm down & ask tons of questions here. These ladies truely helped me bf, if not for them I wouldn't have made it 25 months! Also read as much as you can, start with "So That's what they're for' & "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding".

BabyFruit Ticker

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this

This, I should've read before I posted. lol

Quoting audmom1218:

BabyFruit Ticker

MollyJmommy
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
What they said lol water, your breast and baby are the main things you need to succeed :) also nursing pads and nursing camis will be great I lived in nursing camis for the first 3 months. i'd wait till your milk supply is established to get a nursing bra though. I bought a nursing bra when I was pregnant and it was a little big but now it's 3 sizes too small lol :) don't time the babies feedings either just trust your body and your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Boobs, washable breast pads, baby, food and water! I bought a pump before havong my baby because i knew eventually i'd want to go somewhere baby free. This group is amazing! If you run into any problems these ladies will help you fix it! Be confident.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
What they said! ^^^
Read and learn as much as you can. Start with the resources sticky post at the top of the group. Bookmark kellymom.com and read as much as you can. Come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind.
Congratulations and welcome to the group! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Boobs and a baby are all you need :)

While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby.  ~Amy Spangler

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)