Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Gaining weight while breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
  • 12 Replies
Im breastfeeding my almost 9 month old son. Im striving for at least a year and I may let him decide when to wean. Anyway, Im trying to gain weight but I cannot. I have increased my calories by eating snacks throughout the day. I do eat a healthy breakfast and dinner. Im at a healthy weight for my height, 5'5 weighing 130, size 5. But I feel like I am too skinny. Any tips and ideas on how to gain weight?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Focus on healthy higher fat foods
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Do you work out? Building muscle should help because muscle weighs more than fat and is healthier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I would say you're the perfect size. More protein and good fats will satisfy your appetite. Be sure to stay well hydrated.
luna321
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Sorry no advice but I would looovvveee to get my butt back (its pathetically flat now) I am 5.8 and 120#. Pounds just started flying off when my son turned 7 months and finally stabilized at 120 (I think my perfect weight is around 125-130).

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Take it from another skinny mini- health is far more important than weighing "enough". Keep your diet healthy, exercise regularly, stay hydrated and get enough sleep and don't sweat the weight!  BTW,I am 5'4" and 95 pounds ;)

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Why do you want to gain weight? If you want muscle, you could exercise more and eat more protein, or if you just feel too skinny you could just eat more of whatever you usually have. Eating more frequently would help too.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Quoting polkaspots:

Why do you want to gain weight? If you want muscle, you could exercise more and eat more protein, or if you just feel too skinny you could just eat more of whatever you usually have. Eating more frequently would help too.

Eating more to gain weight is a common misconception.  For most naturally thin people, it just doesn't work that way.  I eat more at one sitting than most of my coworkers and family, and typically more often, yet stay at 95 pounds.  Don't get me wrong, some people can just eat a bit more and magically gain weight, but not everyone, and usually the sort of food that leads to weight gain is less than healthy, ie fast food, junk food, etc

CafeMom Tickers
MaMaLaLa78
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Put your scale away and just eat healthy.   Your height and weight are appropriate for BMI.   :) 

i could suggest ice cream every night before dinner.  ;-)

AlwaysExpecting
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Bacon! ;)

k_cook12
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Nope dont workout. I should though.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Do you work out? Building muscle should help because muscle weighs more than fat and is healthier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)