Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

newborn breastfeeding questions with update ..

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM
  • 14 Replies
Ok I just had ds yesterday .. he weighed in at 7lbs 8.2ozsand today he is already down to 7lbs 1.2 ozs . He is bf only and latching great however my milk hasn't come in yet and he's at the breast pretty much 24/7 so far .. please tell me this is all normal and when my milk comes in will he have longer feeding sessions or will he be a baby who just likes staying on the breast ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Duquesne
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Normal normal normal. More baby nurses, faster your milk comes in.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Welcome and Congrats!!!Your doing great. Aim for at least 8-12 sessions a day. Your milk will come in in the next 4ish days. Babys personality and feeding style won't be evident until closer to 4-6 weeks
Duquesne
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
And baby's tummy is the size of a marble. Feedings will spread out some after your milk comes in and the tummy gets a bit bigger.
bwsmommy
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Thank you ladies !! this is the first time I've been able to bf straight from the breast .. Last ds i had to pump .. And he was tube fed until he was a little over 6 days old . So this is all kinda new to me !
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

It can take several days for milk to come in, all he needs right now is colostrum. His tummy is tiny! Nothing to worry about, all sounds normal! Congrats on your new baby!

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Actually you are pretty lucky. I had to wake mine up to feed in the early days and it was a pain to keep them awake.

The more you nurse, the faster the milk comes in so you should see the weight loss slow down.

Congrats! I miss those days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM
I wish I had to wake him up ... but it seems like every hour he's on the breast .. which is good .. but wearing me out :( ..

Quoting Cleo07:

Actually you are pretty lucky. I had to wake mine up to feed in the early days and it was a pain to keep them awake.

The more you nurse, the faster the milk comes in so you should see the weight loss slow down.

Congrats! I miss those days.
bwsmommy
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Okie dokie ladies .. here's an update .. we will be leaving the hospital today .. and my breasts are just now starting to swell and become enlarged .. I've had to break down and use a nipple shield just because with the swelling even after hand expressing a small amount my nipples still seem to big for his mouth :( but with the nipple shield they seem to work perfectly .. however I'm still concerned about weight gain .. since he's dropped down to 6lbs 15ozs now :/ .. which I know is somewhat normal .. but when will weight start picking up ? He's still nursing often and atleast 10+ on each side ..
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Expect loss the first week. If you had an iv fluids or a section then babies weight was inflated by the extra fluids. no worries.  Be careful with the shield, it's actually only supposed to be used for  damaged nipples & can be a pain in the rear to wean off of. I would  hand express enough to  get baby to latch on well & ditch the shield. Everything you're  experiencing sounds normal though.

Quoting bwsmommy:

Okie dokie ladies .. here's an update .. we will be leaving the hospital today .. and my breasts are just now starting to swell and become enlarged .. I've had to break down and use a nipple shield just because with the swelling even after hand expressing a small amount my nipples still seem to big for his mouth :( but with the nipple shield they seem to work perfectly .. however I'm still concerned about weight gain .. since he's dropped down to 6lbs 15ozs now :/ .. which I know is somewhat normal .. but when will weight start picking up ? He's still nursing often and atleast 10+ on each side ..

BabyFruit Ticker

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM
My son was born 7 lb 4 oz. He dropped to 6 lb 11 ounces at discharge. By day nine, he was up to 7 pounds 14 ounces. However, I had oversupply with all my babies so its not typical. Expect 4-7 ounces a week of gain from the lowest weight.

As far as nursing goes, don't limit his feeds to ten minutes a side. Nurse on one side until he drops off on his own. Then burp and offer the other side. If he takes it, great. If not, not a big deal. Start with the other side at the next session. This ensures he is getting the nice fatty hindmilk which fills him up.

If you switch sides too early, the baby may get too much of the high lactose foremilk. The extra lactose that isn't digested goes to the large bowel and makes a lot of gas.

You are doing great. Remember, one diaper per day of life is the minimum. Soaked or poop diapers count as two.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)