Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Medela Pump and Other Questions

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

Is it OK to buy a used Medela pump in style? I know it has an open system. There is  a woman selling hers for 150 and she only used it a few times.

My baby likes to play tug a war with my nipple. We have only been at this for three weeks and I am waiting on the "pain free" latch. When he latches on wrong I pull him off immediately but it still hurts. Then when we are nursing pain free he will start jerking his head around. I know he is getting enough milk so I can't understand why he would be jerking his head.

I can only get him to fall asleep while nursing. When I give him pumped milked he will stay awake until he gets super fussy and then I have to nurse him.

BTW nursing advice has changed in the last five years. With my last I was told to nurse between 15-20 minuteson each breast 2xduring a feeding and now am being told  to let the baby nurse as long as he wants on one breast then switch if he wants.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting conweis:

Is it OK to buy a used Medela pump in style? I know it has an open system. There is  a woman selling hers for 150 and she only used it a few times. No. Ameda Purely Yours and Lansinoh Affinity are both closed system pumps and less than that brand new.

My baby likes to play tug a war with my nipple. We have only been at this for three weeks and I am waiting on the "pain free" latch. When he latches on wrong I pull him off immediately but it still hurts. Then when we are nursing pain free he will start jerking his head around. I know he is getting enough milk so I can't understand why he would be jerking his head. Does this sound familiar? http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

I can only get him to fall asleep while nursing. When I give him pumped milked he will stay awake until he gets super fussy and then I have to nurse him. Normal, just nurse.  You should never be the one giving bottles, and never even be in the same building when they are given.

BTW nursing advice has changed in the last five years. With my last I was told to nurse between 15-20 minuteson each breast 2xduring a feeding and now am being told  to let the baby nurse as long as he wants on one breast then switch if he wants. Whoever you spoke to last time was wrong.  Nurse on demand, as long as he wants on side A, burp, and then offer side B.  It's okay if he doesn't take it, just start with that breast next time.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

how old is he, I'm assuming a newborn. I remember whiie nursing my first that the initial latch hurt a bit, but the the pain eased up as he continued. If you latch him and its a shallow latch you can correct the latch with your finger while he's still latch on to create a deeper latch (its hard to explain on the internet, but basically just push you boob in more while he;s nursing).

As far as the pulling and tugging, I bet he's doing it because your flow is too fast for him. so you can try nursing on your side, or nurs reclined and maybe block feed if its a huge issue.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting conweis:

Is it OK to buy a used Medela pump in style? I know it has an open system. There is  a woman selling hers for 150 and she only used it a few times. No. Ameda Purely Yours and Lansinoh Affinity are both closed system pumps and less than that brand new.

My baby likes to play tug a war with my nipple. We have only been at this for three weeks and I am waiting on the "pain free" latch. When he latches on wrong I pull him off immediately but it still hurts. Then when we are nursing pain free he will start jerking his head around. I know he is getting enough milk so I can't understand why he would be jerking his head. Does this sound familiar? http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

I can only get him to fall asleep while nursing. When I give him pumped milked he will stay awake until he gets super fussy and then I have to nurse him. Normal, just nurse.  You should never be the one giving bottles, and never even be in the same building when they are given.

BTW nursing advice has changed in the last five years. With my last I was told to nurse between 15-20 minuteson each breast 2xduring a feeding and now am being told  to let the baby nurse as long as he wants on one breast then switch if he wants. Whoever you spoke to last time was wrong.  Nurse on demand, as long as he wants on side A, burp, and then offer side B.  It's okay if he doesn't take it, just start with that breast next time.

agreed, one side at a time for however long baby wants to nurse, that way he gets the fatty hindmilk too.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
conweis
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting conweis:

I wasn't giving him the botle his dad was. I had to get a tooth pulled and didn't  know how I would feelafterwards. He stayed awake for hours then became really fussy and wouldnt calm  down until I put him on the breast. He is spoiled LOL!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I have used a used open system myself, I think its a personal choice and what you feel is safe for you and your child.

Often when a mom has a forceful letdown baby will fight the nipple

Nursing advice hasnt changed its always been to feed on demand BUT people like to give bad advice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN