Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fighting the boob

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
My almost 10 month old son is driving me crazy. He has been fighting nursing like crazy lately. He'll suck for 10 seconds and that's it. If he doesn't get an immediate let down like when I'm really full, he's done. I know he's busy busy and on the move lately but I'm getting really frustrated trying to get him to nurse well. The only time he does is when he's asleep and I rather him sleep when he's asleep and not want my boob the entire time in order to keep him asleep. Is he at the age for a nursing strike? If so, how do I handle it? Do I try to force him or just let him decide if he wants to or not? He is enjoying his solids more recently. He was slow to warm up to them but now he wants to be eating while we're eating and is excellent at feeding himself. He gets no bottles and only the occasional sippy with a little bit of water, although he's not very good at drinking from it yet. He used to be such a booby monster. I think he's fighting it because he thinks I'm trying to put him to sleep when we nurse since I do usually nurse him to sleep.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

oculd be many things, maybe teething? I would not give solids unless he has nursed well before.  Have you tried making a boobie popcycle? (you can freeze breastmilk in an ice cube tray and put it in a meshbag).

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM
My son was like that for a week a few weeks ago. I stopped trying to nurse him and waited until he tried to nurse. He was cranky the first few days, but not crankier than he had been with me trying to feed him against his will. He is about to be eleven months, but he gets less solids than yours does because he just started throwing everything on the floor.
AutymsMommy
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM

My 6 month old is SO busy right now that he fights nursing often. No matter how quiet the room, there is SOMETHING that needs his attention, other than eating. Lol.

My now 3.5 year old went through the same thing about that age. It's a stage and yours will get over it. Mine did :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM
I would back off the solids a bit, and be site he nurses well before solids. No nursing, no solids.
JamieLyn822
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I have heard to cut back on solids when they aren't nursing well, but at this point it would just be kind of mean to make him sit there while we all eat and not give him anything. He's very used to eating in his high chair when we're having our meals.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM
If you want to get through this stage, you must do just that. The solids are giving him an option to nursing and he won't get the needed nutrition from them. Your milk is what he needs nutritionally, not the solids.

Quoting JamieLyn822:

I have heard to cut back on solids when they aren't nursing well, but at this point it would just be kind of mean to make him sit there while we all eat and not give him anything. He's very used to eating in his high chair when we're having our meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I understand. He is still getting milk, though. He just nurses less frequently and for less time. He does feed well first thing in the morning, at nap time and before bed. Its a bit of a struggle though to get him to settle and stop popping off and climbing all over me and its just less than we're used to.

Quoting aehanrahan:

If you want to get through this stage, you must do just that. The solids are giving him an option to nursing and he won't get the needed nutrition from them. Your milk is what he needs nutritionally, not the solids.

Quoting JamieLyn822:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM
That's normal as baby gets older. How are diapers?

Quoting JamieLyn822:

I understand. He is still getting milk, though. He just nurses less frequently and for less time. He does feed well first thing in the morning, at nap time and before bed. Its a bit of a struggle though to get him to settle and stop popping off and climbing all over me and its just less than we're used to.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting JamieLyn822:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Diapers are normal. He will eventually nurse its just a struggle to get him to settle and stay latched for more than 30 seconds, unless he's really sleepy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

My son is 8 mos and does this too. I call it Boobie A.D.D., lol. Well mine will scream if i dont give him what we eat when we have breakfast or dinner, so I give him alittle of what we eat and then its just me and him all day and thats when he will nurse the best, then he gets something when we sit down for dinner. Hope yall can come to a agreement, ; )

Quoting JamieLyn822:

Diapers are normal. He will eventually nurse its just a struggle to get him to settle and stay latched for more than 30 seconds, unless he's really sleepy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)