Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I fast while nursing???

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 25 Replies

My church is doing a 10 day fast and I would like to participate. It is fruits, veggies, whole grains, eggs, nuts, and water.

My question is.....will doing this affect my milk?? Should I make sure I do any specific???

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

i'm no expert, but that sounds perfectly acceptable to me.  as long as you can meet calorie requirements i don't see any harm in eating just those foods. in fact, sounds pretty damn healthy :)

luna321
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I would not do it. How old is your baby?

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Eating fruits, veggies, whole grains, eggs, nuts and water for 10 days actually sounds pretty healthy! I can't see what nutrients you'll be missing by eating like that. It should not be a problem at all.

sassysilvergirl
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

He is almost 7 months......next week.

Quoting luna321:

I would not do it. How old is your baby?

bpryce
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

i was just researching this topic the other day. after several different scientific studies results show that short term fasting will not effect your supplies nutritional quality at all and as long as you are drinking plenty of water during the fasting hours your actual supply/amount of milk will not decrease

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM
4 moms liked this
That's not technically fasting. That's eating healthy. Fasting is not eating any food and sometimes not drinking anything either.
Aslen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I would worry about protien...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM
This.

Although as someone who had to quit milk & eat mostly whole foods....be prepared to be eating a lot of fruits & veggies due to being hungry often!

Quoting Junebaby18:

That's not technically fasting. That's eating healthy. Fasting is not eating any food and sometimes not drinking anything either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM
She can get protein from nuts

Quoting Aslen:

I would worry about protien...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luna321
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I guess if your not limiting the amounts of any of those foods and your eating different kinds of fruit and veggies (not just apples and broccoli all day every day) it sounds fine. The words fast and nursing together scared me for a minute ;) I want to do a juice fast and even with my son being 2 I'm not comfortable doing one while nursing. I think like others have said if you are eating enough of everything you should be good, sound like healthy foods too! I eat a vegan diet and have breast feed just fine. Don't know what I was thinking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)