Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How much/do drink coffee?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 18 Replies
If you were a coffee drinker of coarse. How much do you drink a day? Do you notice any effects To the baby? Or did you just stop drinking coffee when breastfeeding?

My baby is 4 weeks and I'm exhausted and miss my coffee! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sparkina13
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

My son is 3 weeks old. I have 1 to 2 cups a day and I don't think it effects him. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I was scared when he was a newborn, but I got over it fast, lol. I drink like 2 cups of coffee, & 1 cup of tea a day. And I dont mean the 8 oz cups either im talking the nice size mugs....  ;) Drink a cup and if you see anything diff. with the baby, then stop.

rHOPEb
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I stopped (or at least limited) while pregnant.  But I HAVE to have it since I don't get sleep.  I drink 2 cups in the morning and some times I will have another mid-day (around 2-3pm).  I did this with both my kids and did not see any side effects in them nor my milk supply.  I drink my coffee strong and black too!  Oh....and I got a Keurig for Christmas!!!! :D

rHOPEb
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM

OH!!!!!!!!  But I also drink 60-100oz of water daily.  I try to make sure I keep a ton of water in my system at all times

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here. I drink 2 mugs of coffee a day and so far I've only noticed nothing after 4ish. Otherwise DS2 (8 weeks) is up most of the night. I also drank coffee when pregnant so I'm sure that's part of why it doesn't bother him.

Quoting PolishMamma2:

I was scared when he was a newborn, but I got over it fast, lol. I drink like 2 cups of coffee, & 1 cup of tea a day. And I dont mean the 8 oz cups either im talking the nice size mugs....  ;) Drink a cup and if you see anything diff. with the baby, then stop.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Me too (keurig). It makes it too easy to OD on coffee now for me, lol.

Quoting rHOPEb:

I stopped (or at least limited) while pregnant.  But I HAVE to have it since I don't get sleep.  I drink 2 cups in the morning and some times I will have another mid-day (around 2-3pm).  I did this with both my kids and did not see any side effects in them nor my milk supply.  I drink my coffee strong and black too!  Oh....and I got a Keurig for Christmas!!!! :D

pipers_mom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I drink coffee throughout the day lol. Usually 4 or 5 16oz cups per day, and I haven't seen any kind of change with my supply or with Logan himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jelly.beans
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I also got a Keurig for Christmas lol! I drink more coffee now than ever! ... I have been drinking 2-3 cups per day. I don't notice anything different with how it affects baby either, and I never drank coffee until I got the Keurig.

Quoting shortyali:

Me too (keurig). It makes it too easy to OD on coffee now for me, lol.

Quoting rHOPEb:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I drink 2-3 cups a day,but I'm nursing a toddler. Some newborns are sensitive to it, most are not. Try having a cup and see how baby does. Here's some general info for you.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/caffeine/

Introduction

Most breastfeeding mothers can drink caffeine in moderation. Some babies, particularly those under 6 months, may be more sensitive to mom’s caffeine intake. Babies whose mothers avoided caffeine completely during pregnancy seem to react more to caffeine in mom’s diet. Even if baby is sensitive to the caffeine now, he may not be when he’s a little older — so if you do have to stop or limit your caffeine intake, you can try again when baby is older.

Per Medications and Mother’s Milk (Hale 2010, p. 150-151) caffeine is in Lactation Risk Category L2 (safer); milk levels are quite low (0.06-1.5% of maternal dose) and usually peak 1-2 hours after ingestion. One study has indicated that chronic coffee drinking might decrease iron content of breastmilk (Nehlig & Debry, 1994). The American Academy of Pediatrics has classified caffeine as a “Maternal Medication Usually Compatible with Breastfeeding.” Caffeine is given directly to premature babies (as a treatment for breathing problems) in much higher levels than than those generally found in the breastmilk of mothers who consume caffeine.

If your baby is sensitive to caffeine, it will typically become less of an issue as baby gets older. Newborns have a much harder time metabolizing caffeine than older infants. Preterm or ill infants might also have more problems with mom’s caffeine intake.

Half-Life of Caffeine
AgeHalf-Life
Newborn65-130 hours [2.7-5.4 days]
3 – 5 monthsapprox. 14 hours
4-9 months3-7 hours
Adult3-7 hours
References: USP DI 2001Hale 2010

Is baby sensitive to my caffeine intake?

According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book (LLLI 2003, p. 599-600), excessive caffeine consumption by the mother (more than 750 mL per day) can result in a baby who shows signs of caffeine stimulation. “A baby who is being overstimulated by caffeine is a wide-eyed, active, alert baby who doesn’t sleep for long. He may also be unusually fussy.”

If your baby seems particularly wakeful or fussy and there is a significant amount of caffeine in your diet, you might want to cut back or stop the caffeine for 2-3 weeks to see if it makes a difference. If you cut out caffeine, consider decreasing it slowly since abruptly stopping caffeine can result in headaches or other symptoms.

If caffeine stimulation is a problem for baby, it may take a few days to a week after mom eliminates caffeine for baby to become less fussy.

Does caffeine decrease milk supply?

There is no evidence that caffeine decreases milk supply.

The myth that caffeine will decrease milk supply is widespread. Many moms consume caffeine, and it ought to be easy to document any adverse effects of caffeine on milk supply. No such effect has been observed, however, despite a number of studies of caffeine intake in breastfeeding mothers and years of clinical observations. In fact, one study (Nehlig & Debry, 1994) indicates that caffeine can stimulate milk production. A baby who is fussy and jittery from caffeine stimulation may not nurse well, however, which could lead to a decreased milk supply over time (due to decreased nursing, rather than the mother’s caffeine intake).

Caffeine Sources

Caffeine can be found in coffee, tea, soft drinks, sports/energy drinks (including the “sports water” products), some over-the-counter and prescription medications, and foods containing coffee or chocolate. Herbal products containing guarana/paullinea cupana, kola nut/cola nitida, yerba maté, or green tea also contain caffeine. Following is information on caffeine content of various foods.

Typical caffeine content of various foods
(Caffeine in tea & coffee will vary widely depending on brewing, etc)
ProductSize
(ounces)
Caffeine (mg)ProductSize
(ounces)
Caffeine (mg)
CoffeeSoda
Starbucks Coffee, short82507-Eleven Big Gulp cola64190
Starbucks Coffee, tall12375Mountain Dew1255
Starbucks Coffee, grande16500Diet Coke1246
Starbucks Caffe Latte or Cappuccino, grande1670Coke Classic1236
Starbucks Coffee Frappuccino9.598Vanilla Coke1232
Starbucks Espresso, double270Dr. Pepper, regular or diet1242
Maxwell House Cappuccino (various)845-65Pepsi-Cola1240
Coffee, brewed (non-gourmet)8120-180Sunkist Orange Soda1234
Coffee, instant880Barq’s Root Beer1222
Coffee, decaffeinated83Caffeine-free versions of Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Barq’s, etc.120
Minute Maid Orange, Slice, Sprite, 7-Up, A&W Root Beer, Mug Root Beer120
TeaIce cream, yogurt, candy
Tea, leaf or bag848Starbucks Coffee Java Chip Ice Cream428
Tea, green830-35Häagen-Dazs Coffee Ice Cream424
Arizona Iced Tea, assorted varieties1615-30Breyers Chocolate Ice Cream86
Snapple Iced Tea1642Dannon Coffee Yogurt636
Other drinksStonyfield Farm Cappuccino Yogurt80
Cocoa or Hot Chocolate82-5Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bar1.5510
Herbal iced tea, lemonade, fruit juice, milk, tap water, plain bottled water120Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate bar1.4531
Compiled from various sources.

How much caffeine is too much?

Watching your baby is the only way to get an individual answer to this question. As stated above, the amount of caffeine that might affect baby will vary widely depending upon the specific baby and the baby’s age and health. The estimate we often hear is “less than five 5-oz cups of coffee” or 500 mg/day. Various sources suggest an upper limit for caffeine intake ranging from 300-750 mg/day.

During pregnancy: Most sources suggest a 300 mg/day upper limit on caffeine for pregnant moms. However, one source (Motherisk) recommends an upper of limit 150 mg caffeine per day during pregnancy.

The table below shows various suggested upper limits for caffeine in terms of amounts of coffee, tea, soda, etc.

Equivalent caffeinated products for various daily caffeine intakes
FoodCaffeine
Content
150 mg300 mg500 mg
Starbucks Coffee250 mg/8 oz (short)
375 mg/12 oz (tall)
500 mg/16 oz (grande)
1/2 cup (short)1 cup (short)2 cups (short)
1.5 cups (tall)
1 cup (grande)
Coffee, brewed
(non-gourmet)
100 mg/5 oz
160 mg/8 oz
1.5 cups (5-oz)
1 cup (8-oz)
3 cups (5-oz)
2 cups (8-oz)
5 cups (5-oz)
3 cups (8-oz)
Starbucks Frappuccino98 mg/9.5 oz bottle1.5 bottles3 bottles5 bottles
Diet Coke46 mg/12 oz can
77 mg/20 oz bottle
3 cans (12-oz)
2 bottles (20-oz)
6.5 cans (12-oz)
4 bottles (20-oz)
11 cans (12-oz)
6.5 bottles (20-oz)
Pepsi-Cola40 mg/12 oz can
67 mg/20 oz bottle
3.5 cans (12-oz)
2 bottles (20-oz)
7.5 cans (12-oz)
4.5 bottles (20-oz)
12.5 cans (12-oz)
7.5 bottles (20-oz)
Tea, leaf or bag48 mg/8 oz3 cups (8-oz)6 cups (8-oz)10 cups (8-oz)
Häagen-Dazs Coffee Ice Cream24 mg/4 oz serving6 servings (4-oz)12.5 servings (4-oz)20 servings (4-oz)
Dannon Coffee Yogurt36 mg/6 oz serving4 servings (6-oz)8 servings (6-oz)13 servings (6-oz)

lorsmommy08
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I drink mostly chai now but I've been a coffee drinker for years and will drink 2-3 cups a day. It never affected any of my kids while they were nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN