Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 4 Replies
My dd was born Monday Jan 7. She is having trouble latching still and I am being told to pump before or after feeding her to help with my supply. The nurse believes she is not stimulating my breasts. I am afraid that my milk wont come in due to this. What is the best way to do this while continuing to nurse her? I want this to work bc my ds was bf for a wk then i was pumping and not making enough and dried up due to stress. I appreciate any help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Quoting Cowgirlmom09:

My dd was born Monday Jan 7. She is having trouble latching still
Get with an IBCLC to work on this now. You need that help like you need oxygen.
and I am being told to pump before or after feeding her to help with my supply.
At four days that weon't do a helluva lot; takes several days for milk to arrive. Working on the latch is FAR more important.
The nurse believes she is not stimulating my breasts. I am afraid that my milk wont come in due to this. What is the best way to do this while continuing to nurse her? I want this to work bc my ds was bf for a wk then i was pumping and not making enough and dried up due to stress. I appreciate any help!

Fire the nurse, get an IBCLC. The nurse is setting you up for a repeat... you shouldn't be dealing with a pump.

Google "find an IBCLC" to get the ilca.org locator; it's got a crazy URL.

Also google kellymom latch resources... you will find GREAT info there including images.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM
What she said! ^^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaMaLaLa78
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM

On the boobs tons to establish a good supply.  Are you on meds? They can dry out your supply.  Decongestants and birth control can kill a supply.  

Eat a lot of oatmeal and de-stress. Meet with an IBCLC soon.   Fluids are your friend and skin to skin as much as possible.  

:)

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM
It doesn't make any sense to me that a pump would stimulate better than a baby. Good luck. I hope your meet with a consultant goes well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)