Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I Just Thought This Was Funny...

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

My little niece is five years old and she stays with me while her mother works. I have a small farm with horses, cows, sheep, dogs, cats, ducks, chickens, goats, a rabbit, a mule, and a pig. I have a five month old daughter and my niece has asked me a lot of questions about breast feeding. We currently have  two litters of puppies that will be going to their new homes this weekend. Since they are nursing, she has asked a lot of questions about the difference between mommy dogs and human mommies. I explained to her that horses, sheep, dogs, cats, humans, ect are mammals so we breast feed our babies but birds and fish and turtles are not mammals and don't nurse their babies. We've had calves and lambs and puppies and kittens so she is familiar with animals that nurse.

We also got into a discussion about my pig that I bottle fed because his brothers and sisters wouldn't let him nurse (he was the runt) but we still got the milk from his mother (she belonged to a friend of mine). My niece was old enough to remember (she loved to give him a bottle). She asked me if why the milk was different so I showed her the milk that I pumped for my baby and squeezed a few drops from one of my nursing dogs and showed her how it looked a little different and told her that it had different nutrients in it. Suddenly, as she's watching me milk the dog, something occurs to her.

"Aunt Ari? When we drink cow milk, isn't that breast milk?"

"Yes, actually it is. It's still breast milk but it has doesn't have the same nutrients that breast milk has."

"But we are still drinking cow breast milk?"

"Well, yes technially." She got this look on her face of complete horror and yelled "EWWWWWWWW!!!!!"

Later that day I got a call from my sister in law, asking me why her child suddenly won't drink her milk.

I didn't realize that she hadn't made that connection yet. Uh oh. I am like the worst aunt ever.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM

No your not, & thatis funny but kinda unavoidable. Kids at that age ask sooo many questions, its a good thing that your able to explain and teach her about stuff...bow down

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:20 AM
You're a great aunt! :-)
Thank you for sharing your story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Ha ha! Cute!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Ha ha! Your niece is smart. She isn't a calf. There's always almond milk to try until she's up for cow's milk again. Humans don't make enough breast milk to feed all the humans. I know I'm not a calf, but I love the taste of cow's milk.

big smile mini

kathislove80
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Lol!!! That's a cute, funny story. Your little niece is smart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

She's a mess. She's too smart for anyone's own good. I can't believe that she hasn't made the connection yet. She learned how to milk cows at three years old. Once she decided to drink her milk straight from the tap. It grossed her mother out but my husband and I got a huge kick out of it.

CafeMom Tickers
luvhubandbabys
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Haha that's cute..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM
That is hilarious!! lol! Smart girl ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bridixon09
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM

That is too cute lol and your not a bad aunt you were teaching her and heck I never really thought of it that way until I started bf my son and he is my second child hahahaha.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN