Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing Toddler and Mom's supplements

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

I need some help. I need to take some supplements for some health issues brought on by the stress of my Mom's death and the year leading up to it. My almost 3.5 year old nurses 4X/day. How worried do I need to be? How much is he getting with only 4X/day?

I am having the worst time finding any info because anything out there is for babies who are much younger and nurse many times a day.

"Children are a gift from God."

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

What are you looking at taking?

Almost everything is safe while BF *especially* a toddler

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think there's ANYTHING I would be worried about taking with a 3.5 year old.

Definitely list what they are though, just in case it's one of the rare no-no's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. What are you're health concerns and what're you looking to take? Are you still taking any prenatals? He's undoutedly still getting what he needs. I take RAW Garden of Life prentals and their DHA. Other than that I take a magnesium supplement called Nature Calm. I really don't think you have much to worry about.

You might consider St. John's Wort, Omeg 3's, Folic Acid, and Magnesium supplements. In addition to diet and exercise.

http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/

http://www.naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=99

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

I don't think there's ANYTHING I would be worried about taking with a 3.5 year old.

Definitely list what they are though, just in case it's one of the rare no-no's.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM
This.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisa009
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM

My adrenals and digestion (all tied in together) are shot from stress. I took care of everyone the last year of my Mom's life but myself  :-(  Long hours, short on sleep, lots of stress is never good.

I need to look at taking what they call "adaptogen" or adrenal complex of some sort and plenty of digestive enzymes of various sorts. I start something then I get scared that I might hurt my son and I stop. I don't want to force BF weaning, he is high needs, but he needs a well mommy too.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I hate to tell you this, but what I can find about adaptogenic herbs includes ginseng, and kellymom has that on her "Herbs To Avoid" list. 

Quoting Lisa009:

My adrenals and digestion (all tied in together) are shot. I need to look at taking what they call "adaptogen" or adrenal complex of some sort and plenty of digestive enzymes of various sorts. I start something then I get scared that I might hurt my son and I stop. I don't want to force BF weaning, he is high needs, but he needs a well mommy too.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Quoting larissalarie: I don't think there's ANYTHING I would be worried about taking with a 3.5 year old. Definitely list what they are though, just in case it's one of the rare no-no's.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Lisa009
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

I hate to tell you this, but what I can find about adaptogenic herbs includes ginseng, and kellymom has that on her "Herbs To Avoid" list. 

I saw that on KM too but it keeps talking about one's "baby" who is small and most likely nursing 10 plus times a day. This is my problem. Everything written is for small babies nursing many times a day.

I was also looking at an adrenal glandular. People take thyroid glandulars by prescription while nursing. So that was an alternative thought.

MamaDearie
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I don't have an answer for you but I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss and all you have been through. I hope you have the chance to take care of yourself now. (((hugs))) And I have had a heck of a time finding any info about medications while nursing a toddler as well. Everything out there does seem to be written about nursing infants. I'm still nursing my 2 1/2 year old but only 2x a day and there doesn't seem to be any literature out there for me- so I just generally avoid everything as much as possible. I've been very blessed to not have anything serious going on with me.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN