Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

engorgement...time to start pumping?

Posted by   + Show Post

(I know y'all are tired of me, sorry)

I've woken up with engorgement twice already, to the point were I will wake my son up to feed to try to relive the pain. He was "comfort nursing" all day yesterday and the day before and I think that has increased my supply! and when he nurses, the side he's not on leaks profusely.

Is it finally ok to start pumping and saving? I haven't been yet because I wanted to make sure he was getting plenty first. He's 2 and a half weeks.

Any tips, tricks, advice or suggestions on pumping?

TIA

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Replies (11-13):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Yep, what she said in both of her replies.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

And this

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

If baby gets a bottle, you don't get a break mama. You need to pump for that missed feeding or else your run the risks of clogged ducts, mastitis, supply issues. Daddy can change diapers, give baths, take baby after you've nursed, lay skin to skin. Bottles should only be for when you are not physically there to nurse.

Quoting arigdon4:

I have to go back to  work asap so I want a store before I go just in case.

also, I see that DH feels like he's missing out so it would be nice to let himfeed ds and for mommy to get a little breakl ol

Quoting melindabelcher:

Any reason to have a freezer stash?

You could pump first thing in the morning every day

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Some tips from this article on starting to pump to prepare for your return to work:

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/preparing-for-your-return-to-work_19.html

When should I start expressing milk? 

Babies grow so fast! They are newborns for only a few weeks, and before you know it, they are smiling, cooing, and reaching for your face while you are nursing. In the first several weeks after birth, take all the time you can to relax, get to know your baby, and just enjoy being his mom. Unless you have to return to work right away, it is recommended that mothers wait until breastfeeding is well-established before they begin expressing milk for returning to work: for most mothers, somewhere between 3-4 weeks. If you have to return to work earlier than 4-6 weeks, you might wish to begin pumping milk two weeks before you plan to return to work.

Learn how to express your milk

Preparing for your return to work or school can begin with learning to express your milk.
  • You can express milk by hand, with a breast pump, or by using a combination of the two. 
  • Learning how to remove milk without your baby requires both developing your own expression technique and conditioning your milk ejection reflex (MER) or “let down” to respond to it. 
  • Most mothers experience MER in response to the sensation of their babies suckling as well as other stimuli like the sound of a baby crying. If you are having trouble eliciting MER during expression, try visualizing your baby at the breast or listening to a recording of your baby's cry. Looking at pictures of your baby or smelling your baby's clothes or a blanket may also be helpful. If you have a video feature on your phone, try recording your baby breastfeeding so you can play it back while expressing. One study indicated that mothers who replicated their babies’ sucking patterns by adjusting the cycle settings on their pumps expressed more milk (Meier, et al, 2012). 
  • Warming the breast before expressing and gentle breast massage (working from the armpit towards the nipple with a soft kneading touch or in a circular motion with flat fingers) has been effective at increasing the amounts of milk removed during expression (Jones, Dimmock & Spencer, 2001). 
  • Combining hand expression and massage with a pumping routine has been shown to assist with increasing milk production and output (Morton, Hall & Wong, 2009).

How often should I express milk?

Once a day is usually plenty at the beginning. Most moms find that they are able to express the most milk in the morning hours. You can nurse your baby on one side while expressing milk on the other side. Or you could pump both sides about one hour after your baby’s first morning feeding. Don’t worry if you don’t get very much milk at first. It takes practice, and your body needs to “learn” to make milk for that extra “feeding.” When milk is removed, your body responds by making more milk at a faster rate. It can take a few days for your body to increase production (Daly, Kent, Owens et al.,1996). Any milk collected during these practice sessions can be stored in the freezer.

How much milk should I have stored in my freezer?

Many mothers find that they feel less stress if they to know that they don't need to create a large freezer stash of milk before they return to work. Instead, they can use their maternity leave to focus on being with their babies and getting breastfeeding well-established. If you have enough milk to send with your baby on your first day, then you have enough in the freezer.

It is important to express as much milk while you are at work as your baby needs during that time. If your baby needs 10 ounces while you are away at work, then you need to pump at least 10 ounces each day.
For example:
If you were to only pump 8 ounces and send 2 ounces from the freezer each day, you would not be expressing the amount of milk your baby requires. Your body will “think” that your baby needs 2 fewer ounces each day than he really does, and your production will not match his demand. If you start to run out of milk in your freezer, you may face the difficult decision of how to meet your baby’s needs. Many mothers learn too late that increasing their milk supply to meet their baby’s demands is more complex than it seems. Meeting your child’s daily needs for expressed milk during separation is the best way to avoid difficulties later.

Using the simple system described, you pump each day what your baby would need the next day. This way you only use the small freezer stash for emergencies, such as dropping and spilling a day’s worth of milk, or other milk-related calamities.
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Ask your OBGYN to refer you to a lactitionist, mine is amazing and has answered sooo many questions and been an amazing help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN