Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 babies, 1st Time Breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hello ladies!

I am expecting baby #3 in a few weeks. My other 2 kids ages 6 and 3 years were formula fed. After 2 babies with colic, long nights, gastrointestinal issues, protein allergy diagnosis, I have decided that this baby will be BF. I am attending classes, and doing a lot of reading. I was afraid to do it in the past, because of 2 prior surgeries for fibrocystic breasts. I thought that all of the lumps I had removed, there would be no way that my milk ducts are still in tact. Anyway, no harm in trying.

Well, through all of the excitment, I was told by a family member that I would need to pump and bottle feed, because I will not be able to do anything else, and I would not be able to go anywhere. From what I have heard, I know moms who do both and it works (as long as it over 2 weeks when nipple confusion is not an issue). I am really wanting to do as little bottle feeding than I have to, but I may have to run out for errands sometimes (I am a SAHM). Is it possible to do the majority of baby on the breast and still go on outings?

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I go out and am sahm if you need to leave baby with a siiter just pump. You can also take baby with you and nurse on the go. I have an ergo and a ring sling so I nurse my baby on the go. ( I also have other 2 kids) you can have a full time job and breastfeed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Ignore the family member. You will want to avoid bottles for a while, until your supply is good and after baby has a good latch. That will mean a couple months of taking baby anywhere you go or leaving between feedings. It's just a stage of life. If you want to be sucessful then it's just a sacrafice. Too many bottles will create nipple confusion and preference.

my dd is 9months old and never had a bottle and I've never had a problem going out with her or going between feedings.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Breastfeefing babies are very portable. You can put your baby in a sling and nurse there. Bottles should only be used if mom absolutely cannot be there for a feeding; and you must pump for that missed feeding whereever you are. The first few weeks the baby is of course the main priority, but later you can be as mobile as you want to be with the baby.
tracykelly79
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Thank you ladies! I thought so. I worked in daycare for years and I know moms who would stop by the center to breastfeed, but babies were also on bottles. So, I thought it was possible. I am really wanting to just stay away from bottles unless it is necessary.

.3xBlessed.
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I work full time , and have breasted all three of mine (7, 4, 9 months)

None of them have ever had formula, and my youngest has only had a bottle less than ten times. If you are a sahm, you can absolutely do it without bottles if you want to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Once you get the hang of things breast is way easier than bottle. If you need to leave baby with a sitter for less than 2 hrs then no need for bottles. For me nursing in public is way easier (we use a maya wrap) than bottles. Bottles you have to store, carry etc while nursing in a sling you don't even have to stop what you're doing. (Dd nursed during an entire grocery shopping trip and nobody even looked twice at us).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

YEP its very very possibe.  YOu can always nurse in the car before heading into a store, you can get a carrier thats possible to feed in and no one can see you are nursing.  If you arent there then baby can get a bottle but make the rule with yourself if I am here to feed I will, no matter what.  My 3rd was the first I really BF any time at all too and I had to make a rule NO bottles when I can nurse.

OH and forget what you ever knew about how newborns act, how bottlefeeding works, how much babies should eat etc.  BFing and FFing is a totally different mindset, that was my hardest part, relearning everything.  The BFing was actually easy compared to overcoming my on selfdoubts and incorrect thinking from being a FFing mom

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Ignore whoeveer told you that. Nippe comfusion can happen at any time not just before 2 weeks. I'm a sahm & went everywhere while bfing didn't respond to a pump so I had no choice. It was MUCH easier anyway because when you give a bottle you have to pump for that missed feeding. Pumping was too much of a hassle when I could just as easily  latched my kid on & been done.  If you're determined you CAN do this! Read "So that's what they're for" & "The womanly art of breastfeeding".

BabyFruit Ticker

luna321
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I had to deal with nipple confusion which was not fun. Then once my son was 6 months old and had been EBF all but the first week or so he refused to take a bottle- I went bake to work for 6 hours a day 2-3 times a week, so he just nursed before I left and when I got back and more often at night the days I was away. It worked for us that way. Breast feeding can feel like a lot of work when you are establishing your supply and baby is learning how to nurse but over all its so much easier than having to wash and prepare bottle. I'll you need with you to feed baby is you, how easy!

happymommy1105
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM
My little one is 9 weeks and has never had a bottle. We are almost never home.

I just nurse him while we are out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)