Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

new, need to vent and possibly get some advice

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM
  • 17 Replies

So, my second son just turned 6 weeks old today, my older son is 7 years old. He was formula fed, I wanted to nurse him but gave up after three days. I have so far been successful (?) with nursing Joshua, but i'm frustrated with it. He spends a good portion of his day attached to my breast, unless he's sleeping. Now, he can't sleep without boob in his mouth, he sleeps with me day and night. We're can't seem to get him to consistently get him to take a bottle so I can go back to work one day. We tried everyday for the last 2 weeks and he's taken it 3 times. I'm beginning to feel it's not going as well as I think but I don't knwo how to tell, I don't know how to get help. I want to throw in the towel but I can't since he won't take a bottle, I won't let him starve and I can't help but feel like a complete and utter failure since I want to quit and he's only 6 weeks old. I wanted to nurse because it's what's best for him but he never seems to not be hungry. I can't see it getting any easier. i don't know what to do.

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Starshine-bela:

So, my second son just turned 6 weeks old today, my older son is 7 years old. He was formula fed, I wanted to nurse him but gave up after three days. I have so far been successful (?) with nursing Joshua, but i'm frustrated with it. He spends a good portion of his day attached to my breast, unless he's sleeping.Normal, especially for 6 weeks since it's a big growth spurt time.

Now, he can't sleep without boob in his mouth, he sleeps with me day and night. Normal

We're can't seem to get him to consistently get him to take a bottle so I can go back to work one day. We tried everyday for the last 2 weeks and he's taken it 3 times. Were you even in the house?? If you're in the house baby can smell the milk & won't take a bottle. No need to get baby used to a bottle though, when it's time to go to work you leave bottle & baby with caregiver & they figure it out. Baby also could reverse cycle which is not taking much if any milk while away from mom & amking up for it when you're together.

I'm beginning to feel it's not going as well as I think but I don't knwo how to tell, I don't know how to get help. I want to throw in the towel but I can't since he won't take a bottle, I won't let him starve and I can't help but feel like a complete and utter failure since I want to quit and he's only 6 weeks old. I wanted to nurse because it's what's best for him but he never seems to not be hungry. I can't see it getting any easier. i don't know what to do.

Hun, you described a perfectly perfect 6 week old. Their cute so we don't eat em.  The first 6 weeks are the HARDEST, soon it will be a breeze. Also never quit when you're frustrated give it a while longer it WILL get better! Oh & never use the F word, that's reserved for moms who beat their kids.  Trust me you're almost over the hump.

BabyFruit Ticker

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Who's giving bottles and what's in them? If you are the one giving them that could be why he's refusing. If its formula that could be another reason. Give baby to someone else with a bottle of bm (I would try 1-2ozs to start) and you leave for 2-3 hours. Only come home if someone is bleeding or if the house is on fire. Babies won't starve themselves. If they get hungry they will eat. My DD decided she didn't want bottles and would wait for mommy so when I would be gone for 9-10 hrs she wouldn't take a drop. Once mommy was home she was on me the whole time making up for lost time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:44 PM
You are describing a normal breastfeed baby. Get a sling or ergo. Really a carrier. Right now I am nursing my 8th month old while cooking dinner on my ergo. A breastfeed child and a formula child are very different. I ff my first and bf my second and now my third
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oostera
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM
That sounds totally normal. It's not always about the baby being hungry either. Sometimes they nurse for comfort and aren't actually taking in any milk. He's 6 weeks, he spent 9 months close to your heart. It's no surprise that he would want to remain so close:) You are doing good, Momma! Chin up:)
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM

All but two were from my fiancee. The first bottle he took was from me, the other two from my fiancee. I'm always in another room. He gets pumped milk in the bottles. I need to go back to work eventually which is why we're trying to get him to take a bottle plus so I can have a break because I badly need one. I don't know if that is horrible to say, but I do. 

jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting Starshine-bela:

So, my second son just turned 6 weeks old today, my older son is 7 years old. He was formula fed, I wanted to nurse him but gave up after three days. I have so far been successful (?) with nursing Joshua, but i'm frustrated with it. He spends a good portion of his day attached to my breast, unless he's sleeping.Normal, especially for 6 weeks since it's a big growth spurt time.

Now, he can't sleep without boob in his mouth, he sleeps with me day and night. Normal

We're can't seem to get him to consistently get him to take a bottle so I can go back to work one day. We tried everyday for the last 2 weeks and he's taken it 3 times. Were you even in the house?? If you're in the house baby can smell the milk & won't take a bottle. No need to get baby used to a bottle though, when it's time to go to work you leave bottle & baby with caregiver & they figure it out. Baby also could reverse cycle which is not taking much if any milk while away from mom & amking up for it when you're together.

I'm beginning to feel it's not going as well as I think but I don't knwo how to tell, I don't know how to get help. I want to throw in the towel but I can't since he won't take a bottle, I won't let him starve and I can't help but feel like a complete and utter failure since I want to quit and he's only 6 weeks old. I wanted to nurse because it's what's best for him but he never seems to not be hungry. I can't see it getting any easier. i don't know what to do.

Hun, you described a perfectly perfect 6 week old. Their cute so we don't eat em.  The first 6 weeks are the HARDEST, soon it will be a breeze. Also never quit when you're frustrated give it a while longer it WILL get better! 

this

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Quoting piwife:

You are describing a normal breastfeed baby. Get a sling or ergo. Really a carrier. Right now I am nursing my 8th month old while cooking dinner on my ergo. A breastfeed child and a formula child are very different. I ff my first and bf my second and now my third

We have a Ka'tan carrier, it's great, but I can't position him to nurse in it. His head sits right above my breasts in it. Might have to look into the ergo. I was thinking about a carrier where I can nurse to, feel like it would make things a lot easier for me.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM
You don't really get a break if so one else feeds him a bottle. You get to go pump for the missed feed from the breast so that means parts to wash and time spent hooked to a machine.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

All but two were from my fiancee. The first bottle he took was from me, the other two from my fiancee. I'm always in another room. He gets pumped milk in the bottles. I need to go back to work eventually which is why we're trying to get him to take a bottle plus so I can have a break because I badly need one. I don't know if that is horrible to say, but I do. 

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:52 PM

If you were in the house though he could still smell the milk. Plus there's no getting a baby used to a bottle. I've seen tons of babies who supposedly were used to bottles suddenly refuse them It's a draw. Also you're really not getting a break when you get someone else to give him a bottle because you need to pump for that missed feeding. Now if you were to drive to a quiet spot & just have a few minutes alone while pumping I  would do that. You jsut can't be in the house. Oh & no it's not bad to need a break it's normal.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

BabyFruit Ticker

piwife
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Go on youtube a search for videos on nursing on the carrier you have.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Quoting piwife:

We have a Ka'tan carrier, it's great, but I can't position him to nurse in it. His head sits right above my breasts in it. Might have to look into the ergo. I was thinking about a carrier where I can nurse to, feel like it would make things a lot easier for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN