Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

NICU loves high lipase milk...

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM
  • 2 Replies

Our son, born 7 Jan., went to NICU for a few days.  

In this hospital, they are very pro-breast feeding and pumping.  When I explained that my milk was rather high in lipase and not to throw it out if it smelled funny, the nurse just said that they LOVED high lipase milk, as it is higher in fat content than breastmilk without high lipase.

I didn't get the chance to question her about it, so I'm curious if any of you gals can point me in the direction of studies done on breastmilk with high lipase.... 

(BTW, DS is out of NICU now and doing great!)

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:41 AM

No studies but I have high lipase and when pumping or my 36 weeker the first thing the dr said when he saw the colostrum I had pumped was "look at the cream on that milk!"- it was about half and half once separated.  Two kids and both times my milk has been high fat/lipase, they never minded the taste from the lipase so I never paid much attention.  I did notice that as my girls got older and into toddler years the lipase smell seemed to increase.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Mom of two preemies here! High lipase with both and once it sat and seperated it was 50% to 75% fat! My boys never minded the smell and half the time i had to get really close to smell it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN