Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

2 BFing Questions! One about caffeine and one about food!

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 13 Replies

Okay, so I like to drink Oolong tea with a sprig of fresh peppermint. I usually have two or three cups in the morning. Today I only had one, but I feel like I am dying right now! Hot tea is my biggest weakness.. Will the tea effect my milk and keep my daughter up? She is 4 months and has been very active lately and pretty restless. But I have always had tea and coffee, while feeding her and this has just started the past 2 weeks. :/
And question #2. I know it is normal to get hungry after a feeding, but does that really mean you should go get a snack? I want to so bad sometimes, but want to be healthy and fit? Thanks Breastfeeding moms. You guys are amazing for doing what's best! :) 

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Skip the peppermint and you should be fine :)

MollyJmommy
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Try just drinking water or having a bowl of healthy cereal or a good snack. I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning so i'm sure i'm getting more caffeine then you lol. Try looking for no caffeine teas or spacing out the tea more through out the day. Also try Mommy's Bliss Gripe Water. Worked wonders for my dd :) still does too she's 18 months old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ama2Gunner
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Stay away from the mint, it can decrease your supply. And you should be fine with tea and coffee.

4mo is a very active age - babies are starting to be more interested in the world around them, some are starting to roll and be stronger and start looking around more. It's normal. And babies only get more active from here. :)

Snacking is fine. Keep it to healthy foods, and you should be ok. Veggies, fruit, peanut butter, etc. 

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I heard that it was fine in small amounts. Or that's what it said on kellymom. Hmm..it's so hard to give up the things you love! :b

Quoting preacherskid:

Skip the peppermint and you should be fine :)

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I actually quit the beloved two cups of coffee each morning routine for Oolong hot tea. But it seems like she's only gotten worse, so I blame it on her age! I'm actually up right now, nursing her..but she's too hyper to even nurse. She just keeps burrowing her face in my boob, grabbing my hair, giggling, and screaching. I may try the Mother's Milk tea and I will check out the Mommy's Bliss on google now. Thanks!

Quoting MollyJmommy:

Try just drinking water or having a bowl of healthy cereal or a good snack. I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning so i'm sure i'm getting more caffeine then you lol. Try looking for no caffeine teas or spacing out the tea more through out the day. Also try Mommy's Bliss Gripe Water. Worked wonders for my dd :) still does too she's 18 months old

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

She is changing so much right now. She's 4 months today and just in a week has sit up by herself, while laying twice, roll around(and getting places!), started making new sounds/babble, and has started to jump so we got her a jumper. It must be a 4 month old thing. :)

Quoting Ama2Gunner:

Stay away from the mint, it can decrease your supply. And you should be fine with tea and coffee.

4mo is a very active age - babies are starting to be more interested in the world around them, some are starting to roll and be stronger and start looking around more. It's normal. And babies only get more active from here. :)

Snacking is fine. Keep it to healthy foods, and you should be ok. Veggies, fruit, peanut butter, etc. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM

If you like oolong and mint you may not like the MMT- it has a very VERY strong black licorice flavor.  You might like a rooibos tea- it is an African bush, commonly called red tea, no caffeine but very flavorful.  Some examples found here:

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/rooibos-teas

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Thank you! We have a Teavana at the shopping mall in town. :)

Quoting preacherskid:

If you like oolong and mint you may not like the MMT- it has a very VERY strong black licorice flavor.  You might like a rooibos tea- it is an African bush, commonly called red tea, no caffeine but very flavorful.  Some examples found here:

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/rooibos-teas

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM
The peppermint may affect supply, but the tea is fine. I always had water and a snack nearby when I nursed. Usually something with protein--a half sandwich, cheese sticks, carrots, something like that. Water especially--sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger. Hope this helps!
MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:41 AM

It does. I need as much advice as possible. I'm new to this. Thanks! :)

Quoting MusherMaggie:

The peppermint may affect supply, but the tea is fine. I always had water and a snack nearby when I nursed. Usually something with protein--a half sandwich, cheese sticks, carrots, something like that. Water especially--sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger. Hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN