Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Talk to me about BH, PTL and BF **Update**

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:56 AM
  • 14 Replies
This is long, but I wanted to put as much info that might be helpful in as possible. :)

I'm 28w with ds2. Ds1 is 2 1/2 and still bf maybe 6-8x/day, always to sleep for naps and at night, usually once again during his nap and at least once or twice overnight and in the am when he wakes, he bf for about an hour as he dozes and wakes slowly. During the day he may bf once or twice, especially if he gets hurt or something. Sometimes he goes between his morning wake up numnums all the way to naptime with no nursing at all. I plan to tandem nurse when Gummy Bear arrives in April. So that's ds' background.

Now my background. I went into ptl with ds at 31w. We had just moved, the new house was filthy and I worked too hard, steam cleaning the kitchen cabinets, shampooing carpets and not resting enough. I ended up on bedrest until I delivered at 38w4d, the day after the first day I got off bedrest and walked around a bit. I thought all that was due to over taxing myself. Well, now I started having BH at 19/20w with this pregnancy, which is normal and fine, but they have increased to an worrisome. Last Monday I went to L&D because I'd had 11 in an hour. They monitored me for a few hours but my cervical length was fine, less than a few days before, but still over 3cm, so they gave me Procardia and sent me home. My ob gave me an Rx for Procardia to have at home and I take it when cntrx go above 6/hr. So far I've taken it at least once a day since then. There have been a few times when it got bad, like 19 cntrx/hr, but the Rx brought it down. I should probably be taking it more often, but I think I'd end up taking it every 4 hours and my ob doesn't want that. This evening it worked for one hour, then the number climbed again to 9/hr for 3 hours. Fortunately, it has since dropped again, but it's going back up. I just hope with sleep it gets better.

So today and yesterday I started noticing that my BH kick up when I'm nursing ds, like to 9/hr. I end up having to take my pill to bring it back down. I go in Monday for a cervical length u/s and fetal fibronectin swab, if I don't end up back in L&D sooner. I've never been away from my bubba overnight and it kills me to think of having to do it now. I did my research when deciding to tandem and I know how it all is SUPPOSED to work, hormonally and all that, but I'm noticing a pattern. :( Stupid uterus.

So with all this, should I think about weaning him? It will be very, very hard on him. He's a boob man. Whenever he hears babies cry he tells me they need their mama's numnums, because he knows that makes everything better. I can't imagine denying him his favorite comfort. That breaks my heart, too. What do you think, ladies?

Eta: I drink around 72oz water/day, 3 refills of my camelbak, and take 225mg magnesium 2x/day in addition to the Procardia as needed.

***UPDATE***

I talked with my lovely doula, Niki (laughterhugs), who also happens to be a LLL leader and we have a plan: I know my cntrx spike in the am when I wake up, probably due to my full bladder and borderline dehydration from being asleep all night, and is probably exacerbated by ds' morning nursing and twiddling. So I'm going to take my med as soon as I wake up, before I get up to pee or anything. I'm not going to wait and see anymore. Also, with regard to the twiddling, which has been driving me NUTS anyway and which I've been trying to stop, I had a talk with ds before naptime about how I need him to not twiddle. He knows I have owies, which is why I can't carry him anymore, so I explained that for the same reason, I need him to not twiddle, too. That if he did, my owies will get worse and then he won't be able to have any numnums at all. I wore a sports bra under my nursing tank. He nodded and said ok and I showed him where he could put his hand that wouldn't give me owies. He listened and did great!! I'm SOOOO happy to be done with the twiddling, anyway. It made me want to tear my hair out! So I'm also going to take the Procardia before nap and bedtime nursing, since I know that's a trigger, and I will do my best to cut out any nursing beyond bedtime, naptime and shorten up his wake up session, which can go on for an hour.

So that's my plan! I hope it works and no more drastic cuts need to be made. I must say, my darling boy has been very good with all the changes lately and has been very understanding so far. Sweetie pie. :D
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TTC2Long
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I posted this in the middle of the night, so bump now that everyone's awake! ;)
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Hopefully one if the LC's will see. Goodluck!
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I have a super crunchy friend that had to wean her 3 year old when she became pregnant with twins. She couldn't figure out a way to gentlest wean her boobie man so she told him that her milkies were broken. They mourned the broken milkies together and eventually he stopped asking for it. She said it was one of the hardest things she ever had to do so far in parenting.
I hope someone is able to give you some great advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I saw this last night but really couldn't give you any answer. But here's what's on kellymom:

What are miscarriage and preterm labor experts saying?

AUGUST 4, 2011. Posted in: BOOK: TANDEM NURSING,BREASTFEEDING & PREGNANCY

Excerpted with permission from
Adventures in Tandem Nursing: 
Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond

by Hilary Flower

La Leche League International, ©LLLI 2003
ISBN: 0912500972

Lesley Regan, PhD, MD, heads the Miscarriage Clinic at St. Mary’s Hospital in London, the largest referral unit in Europe, and is the author of Miscarriage: What every woman should know. She was surprised to hear that anyone considers issues related to miscarriage to be reasons for weaning. She added:

Once a pregnancy is clinically detectable, breastfeeding should pose no added risk of pregnancy loss. There isn’t any data suggesting a link between breastfeeding and miscarriage, and I see no plausible reason for there to be a link.

Obstetrician David Weismiller, MD, wrote a synthesis of research on preterm labor for the American Academy of Family Physicians; he is an assistant professor and director of women’s health in the Department of Family Medicine at East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, NC. He concurs that there is no evidence that implicates breastfeeding in increasing the risks of preterm labor in healthy pregnancies.

… from Chapter 12: Health Concerns

Read other excerpts from this book

“It has been a pleasure to have the opportunity to read this authoritative account on breastfeeding during pregnancy. I am delighted to have been asked to comment specifically on the risks of miscarriage for a breastfeeding woman. Hilary Flower has provided a detailed explanation that is easily accessible to the lay person, as to why the normal pregnant uterus only responds weakly to the action of oxytocin hormone until the very end of pregnancy. Undoubtedly, this is one of nature’s own safety checks to prevent miscarriage and preterm labour in women continuing to breastfeed regularly during their next pregnancy. I feel sure that this book will provide women with confidence and reassurance to believe that ‘breast is best’ for their baby.”

Lesley Regan, PhD, MD
Head of the Recurrent Miscarriage Clinic at St. Mary’s Hospital in London, the largest miscarriage referral unit in Europe, and author of Miscarriage: What every woman should know

Excerpted with permission from
Adventures in Tandem Nursing: 
Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond

by Hilary Flower

La Leche League International, ©LLLI 2003
ISBN: 0912500972

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, Gina.  That was always one of my worries, too (you know my history).  I guess I'd wait and see how your FFN looks on Monday (just make sure that they do that first before the u/s so that the transvaginal probe doesn't skew the results), and see what your CL is.  If the FFN is negative, I wouldn't worry about weaning.  If it's positive or if your CL is shorter, I'd talk to the ob or perinatologist about it and see what they say.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Well here's my take...I'm an L&D RN and an IBCLC. 

First , you had preterm contractions with your first which is very different than preterm labor.  Honestly, if it was labor some bedrest wouldn't stop it.  So, for me, your history is that you have a tendency to contract with over exertion.  

How much water are you drinking?  If you aren't drinking 8-10 full glasses or bottles of water a day you need to increase,your water intake. 

The meds we use stop or slow contractions.  Contractions don't equal labor.  

Breastfeeding can cause contractions but that doesn't mean it's going to cause labor.  You have to do what your are comfortable with doing.  I would personally continue to breastfeed.  

Please make sure that there is nothing in your vagina for 24 hours prior.  Also, make sure it's done with a speculum and no lube.  I've seen many ffn test done wrong.  

TTC2Long
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM
With ds, the contrx made me efface 75%. What, besides labor, would have happened if I hadn't gone on bedrest? That sounds like a snarky question, but I totally don't mean it to be. :)

I'm a water fiend. I drink at least 72oz/day, 3 camelbak water bottles and I monitor urine color and look for clear or nearly clear pee. I also pee... Constantly. Lol

Cntrx don't equal labor, but if you're having too many and they're not stopping or are increasing... What will be the eventual outcome?

I don't want to overreact about nothing, I don't want to wean, but I also dont want to put this baby in danger.

Quoting IrishIz:

First , you had preterm contractions with your first which is very different than preterm labor.  Honestly, if it was labor some bedrest wouldn't stop it.  So, for me, your history is that you have a tendency to contract with over exertion.  

How much water are you drinking?  If you aren't drinking 8-10 full glasses or bottles of water a day you need to increase,your water intake. 

Breastfeeding can cause contractions but that doesn't mean it's going to cause labor.  You have to do what your are comfortable with doing.  I would personally continue to breastfeed.  

Please make sure that there is nothing in your vagina for 24 hours prior.  Also, make sure it's done with a speculum and no lube.  I've seen many ffn test done wrong.  

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I've read a lot on both sides of the bedrest argument.  I have an irritable uterus, too.  Basically the idea is that contractions that can be stopped by procardia and terbutaline aren't true labor contractions.  I don't remember where mag falls on that scale, but I know that huge doses of that over a 2-day period were all that stopped my PTL with Andy.  I don't actually feel true-labor contractions until my water breaks, so if I'm feeling them I know they aren't doing anything, but I know I'm weird.  With both of them I contracted like crazy, but with Nathan I had 17p shots starting at 16 weeks and I'm positive that those are what got us to term.  With Andy, even on strict bedrest, I went from 0/long/firm to 2-2.5cm/50% on the first labor day and then to 3-4cm/paper thin 7 weeks later.  With Nathan I never went below 17mm and didn't dilate beyond 1 cm until after 36 weeks and for most of the end of his pregnancy I was on modified.

Careful with the water. :)  You're still within normal amounts, which is good.  I got a little obsessive about it and ended up with the beginnings of water intoxication--1.5-2 gallons a day is not good for you, lol.  

Quoting TTC2Long:

With ds, the contrx made me efface 75%. What, besides labor, would have happened if I hadn't gone on bedrest? That sounds like a snarky question, but I totally don't mean it to be. :)

I'm a water fiend. I drink at least 72oz/day, 3 camelbak water bottles and I monitor urine color and look for clear or nearly clear pee. I also pee... Constantly. Lol

Cntrx don't equal labor, but if you're having too many and they're not stopping or are increasing... What will be the eventual outcome?

I don't want to overreact about nothing, I don't want to wean, but I also dont want to put this baby in danger.

Quoting IrishIz:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Laying in bed  doesn't stop labor.  Laying in bed could help if there is an incompetent cervix.  So what would have happened?   Possibly nothing.  Possibly more effacement and dilation.  It's hard to say because there isn't a crystal ball.  

Contractions that don't stop don't turn into labor.  Your body doesn't have a mechanism where it says it hit a contraction limit so now it's time to start laboring. There are women who contract for months on a regular basis and don't labor. Labor will happen when the body wants it to happen and not based off how many or how long you have been contracting. 

See what your cervical length is.  The reality is that if anything is going on it probably isn't from breastfeeding.  If there is an issue they may ask you to wean but it would be more to remove contributing factors versus the breastfeeding being the absolute cause. 

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting IrishIz:

TTC2Long
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Ok, that's good to know. But if they cause cervical change, like if I just let my body do it's thing, ill end up with no cervix left. And... Then what? couldn't THAT lead to preterm delivery? I don't know, but it follows, right?

Were you drinking THAT much water?? Holy balls, K8! Lol.

Quoting K8wizzo:

I've read a lot on both sides of the bedrest argument.  I have an irritable uterus, too.  Basically the idea is that contractions that can be stopped by procardia and terbutaline aren't true labor contractions.  I don't remember where mag falls on that scale, but I know that huge doses of that over a 2-day period were all that stopped my PTL with Andy.  I don't actually feel true-labor contractions until my water breaks, so if I'm feeling them I know they aren't doing anything, but I know I'm weird.  With both of them I contracted like crazy, but with Nathan I had 17p shots starting at 16 weeks and I'm positive that those are what got us to term.  With Andy, even on strict bedrest, I went from 0/long/firm to 2-2.5cm/50% on the first labor day and then to 3-4cm/paper thin 7 weeks later.  With Nathan I never went below 17mm and didn't dilate beyond 1 cm until after 36 weeks and for most of the end of his pregnancy I was on modified.

Careful with the water. :)  You're still within normal amounts, which is good.  I got a little obsessive about it and ended up with the beginnings of water intoxication--1.5-2 gallons a day is not good for you, lol.  

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting IrishIz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)