Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping for Oatmeal?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 34 Replies
So, the baby oatmeal I have says to add breastmilk or formula. At first, I just hand expressed it but that took way too long. So i went back to this manual hand pump that I got when Elliot had to go back into the hospital at 2 weeks. Well, anyway, will this increase my milk supply? I already have plenty so I don't need the extra milk. Also, probably won't be doing it for too much longer because it seems he prefers the jarred baby food anyway...especially sweet potato
CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:44 PM
4 moms liked this
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with any of it. It's not very nutritious and babies can't digest grains until closer to a year old. Give him real food. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I would completely skip the oatmeal. not needed. 

hapababies
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I pumped to put bm in my first son's oatmeal. I wish I knew then what I know now about how cereal isn't necessary. It would have saved me a lot of time, frustration and stress.
I didn't give my second born cereal and went straight to sweet potatoes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't bother with cereal.  It's devoid of nutrients, the artificial iron can disrupt the way natural iron is absorbed in breastfed babies which can cause anemia, and it tastes gross.  The AAP even changed their stance on cereal and say that it's not a good first food for babies.

Just cut up what you're having in small pieces and put it in front of him.  Only offer immediately after a full nursing session.  You can start with banana, avocado, sweet potato, or even shreds of chicken, pork, or beef.

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Well, he mostly gets the jarred baby food....and the only reason I'm doing that is because what we eat isn't exactly healthy as ashamed as i am to admit it. We usually have hamburger helper for dinner...or pizza.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM
2 moms liked this
How old is he? I would Google "baby-led solids"; spoon feeding really isn't necessary, and baby cereal can interfere with the absorption of iron from your milk. To many solids can lead to a drop in supply. Until after the first birthday, solids are for fun--they do not have as many calories as breastmilk, either.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM
4 moms liked this

And I don't see why everyone saying how bad infant oatmeal/cereal is. Both his doctor AND nutrionist recommened it. Sure, his doctor is on the older side but his nurionist is only probably a little older than me. If it was so bad/not good for them, why would 2 people have recommended it? I just think it's a personal preference. Besides, my son seems to somewhat like the oatmeal. Sure, he makes weird faces but he always eats at last 2 or 3 spoonfuls. >.>

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Quoting MusherMaggie:

How old is he? I would Google "baby-led solids"; spoon feeding really isn't necessary, and baby cereal can interfere with the absorption of iron from your milk. To many solids can lead to a drop in supply. Until after the first birthday, solids are for fun--they do not have as many calories as breastmilk, either.

He'll be 7 months old tomorrow. I only feed him after a full nursing session and usually only once a day...though today we did 2. And I have googled "baby-led solids" and I think I prefer spoon feeding him. Besides, we get the baby food from WIC...might as well use it.
CafeMom Tickers
sugar38
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM

yup i agreed with u i get wic also so might as well feed the babies.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

He'll be 7 months old tomorrow. I only feed him after a full nursing session and usually only once a day...though today we did 2. And I have googled "baby-led solids" and I think I prefer spoon feeding him. Besides, we get the baby food from WIC...might as well use it.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My big fear is the research showing it can cause anemia in breastfed babies. The artificial iron makes the natural iron in breastmilk difficult to absorb.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)