Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

This is normal, right?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
  • 11 Replies
My nipples are really sore after I bf my newborn. That is normal right? It will get better a he gets older and my milk comes in, right?

Right now he's just getting colostrum. I'm pretty sure he is latched on right. Well at least the nurse said he was.

I should have read more breastfeeding books while pregnant.

I feel so dumb and stupid right now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christineT79
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM

As long as it dosnt hurt for the whole feeding. It should only hurt for about a minute when you first get him latched on. Your nipples do need to toughen up alittle bit & get used to being constantly sucked on. It will get better. Use lanolin inbetween feedings.

SadieJames
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Lily is 5 days old and my nipples are sore but getting better.  My milk came in and that helped! 

MaddiesMama09
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Soreness is typical in the beginning. Your breasts will get used to it quickly. I remember my nipples feeling sensitive to air! Haha. As long as his latch is ok, it will go away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Should I put the lanolin on right after a feeding or can I before and after?

It doesn't hurt like bad hurt when he's eating. I mean I can feel him sucking but it is not like stabbing pain or anything. But definitely for a little while after he stops it burns.

Quoting christineT79:

As long as it dosnt hurt for the whole feeding. It should only hurt for about a minute when you first get him latched on. Your nipples do need to toughen up alittle bit & get used to being constantly sucked on. It will get better. Use lanolin inbetween feedings.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bitemebetty
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I think it took two weeks to stop hurting. Towards the end I would cry out when he latched. That cream wqs my best friend
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Should I put the lanolin on right after a feeding or can I before and after?

It doesn't hurt like bad hurt when he's eating. I mean I can feel him sucking but it is not like stabbing pain or anything. But definitely for a little while after he stops it burns.

Quoting christineT79:

I used to put the lanolin on right after a feeding. It's ok for the baby to eat some of it. My baby used to have it all over her face. My hubby said in the begining I used to look like I was being struck by lightning when she would first latch on. For me it was toe curling pain for about a minute & then would stop. They were also sore for me inbetween feedings. I couldnt touch them. Now I'm 4 months in & have no pain at all.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Before and after. You sound like you're right on target!
AngryBob
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I would often squeeze a drop or two of breast milk out, du. it on my nipple, and let it air dry. Before and after feedings. It helped soo much, and I didn't have to buy cream.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM
That's what I was doing, but it didn't help much...

Quoting AngryBob:

I would often squeeze a drop or two of breast milk out, du. it on my nipple, and let it air dry. Before and after feedings. It helped soo much, and I didn't have to buy cream.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babynurse244
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Honestly, you can read all the books in the world and experience is still the best instructor. I wouldn't worry that you didn't read more books. You're doing fine and it will get easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN