Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vitamin drops?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:16 AM
  • 36 Replies

My dd is nearly 9 months old, and was ebf.

From 6 months we began introducing solids, but she's still less than enthusiastic - she'll eat a little fruit, but won't self feed, and is disgusted by anything that's not sweet, lol.

This hasn't bothered me particularly - she's gaining weight, hitting milestones, and I just figure she'll get there as and when she's ready. However, last week, our health visitor came for her 8-9 month check (the HV is a specially trained children's nurse who run the clinics to weigh babies, do checks at various ages, and are the first point of call if you have a problem that's not Dr worthy - I'm in England), and she really seemed quite concerned about the lack of solids dd is eating.

She accepted that I wasn't concerned at this point, and didn't push it, but strongly recommended that I start giving dd vitamin drops - apparently our health service has begun recommending thim to all kids from 6 months to 6 years (this was not the case with my older kids). The drops contain vitamins A, C and D. I'm not against them, per se, but I, nor my children have never taken any kind of supplements in our lives (with the exception of folic acid when I was pg), and I'm a strong believer that anything your body needs, it can get from a healthy, varied diet, which I get.

Am I being stubborn?! Do you give your lo vitamins?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

- Dr Suess

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:37 AM
No. It is very common for a 9 month old bf baby to take in very little solids before a year of age, and even past that. is your baby still breastfed? There is no reason to give a perfectly healthy breastfed infant with no signs of nutrient deficiency any additional vitamins other than Vitamin D. If I were you, I would continue as you are and offer her foods for practice. Don't stress over her lack of solid intake. It will come in time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I was told from the beginning to give my DS vit D drops because he is EBF. However as i talked with my friends who EBF i earned some did and some didnt. I do give them to him when i remember lol
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I dont think its necessary
the best and safest vitamin D comes from the sun anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this
Not necessary. Breastmilk and a little sunshine is all baby needs until a year old.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM
This. :)

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Not necessary. Breastmilk and a little sunshine is all baby needs until a year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jolou
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I'm glad I'm not depriving her entirely lol.

To answer the question - yes she is still primarily breastfed (no formula - just what solids she feels like eating - today we discovered a liking for mango). I know sunlight is the best source of Vit D - and we spend a decent amount of time outdoors - walking her big brothers to and from school, and often walking the dog - but it's in the 30s here, and actual sunshine is pretty infrequent, lol.

(I know that you don't need it to be sunny for Vit D - but it does help : )  )

Thanks!

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I never did, especially if they are the ones made by enfamil. Those are nasty & full of unecessary junk.

BabyFruit Ticker

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM
This! The lack of solids really is not a concern because babies don't get much nutrition from them. Their nutrition comes from the milk. The vitamin drops are unnecessary and can cause deficiencies when there were none to begin with.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

This. :)

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dvegas
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Our babies doctor recommended Vitamin D drops the day he was born. He said although you get good vitamin D from the sun  it is too soon to have him directly in the sun for long periods of time without the risk of gettinga sunburn.  since we were going to keep our lil one inside and away form people (other than family) then we decided to give the vitamin drops to him. We had to put it in his bottle since he hated the taste of it.

As for not eating enough solids yet. There is nothing to worry about all babies are different and she will love solids eventually. when my lil guy was 9 months  he was more into breastfeeding and didn't like to eat solids very much except when at day care. Now he loves to eat everything on his plate and ours:o)

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Those drops are not necessary and aren't good for a breastfed baby's stomach. They have extra stuff that isn't needed. I recommend using Just D or Carlson's brand vitamin D drops. They are tasteless and the dose is only one drop per day. You can put it on your nipple before nursing.
Quoting Dvegas:

Our babies doctor recommended Vitamin D drops the day he was born. He said although you get good vitamin D from the sun  it is too soon to have him directly in the sun for long periods of time without the risk of gettinga sunburn.  since we were going to keep our lil one inside and away form people (other than family) then we decided to give the vitamin drops to him. We had to put it in his bottle since he hated the taste of it.

As for not eating enough solids yet. There is nothing to worry about all babies are different and she will love solids eventually. when my lil guy was 9 months  he was more into breastfeeding and didn't like to eat solids very much except when at day care. Now he loves to eat everything on his plate and ours:o)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)