Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night feeding question.

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 16 Replies
So here's my question, is it safe to let baby fall asleep on the breast and pretty much stay there all night???

We completely cut the supplemental formula about a week ago. We also have him sleep with us. He'll nurse laying on the pillow w me sitting up to hold him. Once he falls asleep I put him next to me in the co sleeper. He's a snacker. I think because I have pretty small boobs and he doesn't get that much? Well He'll wake up about 4 hrs after we go to bed, and I'll lay him on the pillow next to me so we are both on our sides facing each other. He'll fall asleep before I can switch him to the other side. If I leave him like that he'll stay asleep for another 4 or 5 hours. As long as my boob is in his mouth that is. But if I move him he'll wake up about an hour or less later every time.

Does anyone else deal w this? I don't like leaving him attached all night, but I need sleep too. Am I going to create a monster if I don't break him of it? He's only a few weeks old so right now I know he needs it, but I don't want him to be utterly dependent on it. I have to go back to work in a few weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
3 moms liked this

It's perfectly safe. :) Cutting the formula will help your supply. ALso size of breasts makes no difference when it comes to how much milk you put out. Him nursing at night will promote more milk. 4-5 hours is more sleep than I get! My 9mo old eats every 2 hours!

He's so young, I would stop thinking about not makign him a monster because that's an absurd idea. You're helping him transition into this new world. You are his only comfort. It doesn't last forever, and when it's over you'll be sad. If you can sleep with him attatched then its perfectly ok. I ussed to try and move mine in the inbetween sleep stage right after they quit nursing. They usually find it easier to move and stay asleep. Congrats and gl!

luvmymunchkins3
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
i do shoot i go back to sleep while he is eatting then he falls alseep when he is done and if he wakes up again he just keeps sucking
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That was the only way I got ANY sleep when my son was a baby!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I nurse my baby to sleep. She used to be latch all night, now that she is 8 mts, she will nurse and she will move away from me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I did with My DD and shes fine :) most of the time they dont actually eat the whole time, they also use it as a soother. And small boobs can make just as much milk as big boobs. I always let DD stay on the same boob all night, she still got lots of milk. Doing that made one boob alot bigger then the other one though. now that I'm not nursing anymore my boobs are now the same size

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Yes it is if you follow safe bedsharing guidelines: http://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.html

Don't lay him on the pillow. Lay him even with your breast. Keep blankets at his waist or dress him warm enough he won't need a blanket. You should also use a separate blanket then your SO.

Breast size means nothing to supply..

The first 6 weeks you can expect him to be attached almost constantly 3 & 6 weeks are huge growth spurts! Eventually he'll work out his sleep/eating schedule so he won't be nursing as much at night.

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

So here's my question, is it safe to let baby fall asleep on the breast and pretty much stay there all night???

We completely cut the supplemental formula about a week ago. We also have him sleep with us. He'll nurse laying on the pillow w me sitting up to hold him. Once he falls asleep I put him next to me in the co sleeper. He's a snacker. I think because I have pretty small boobs and he doesn't get that much? Well He'll wake up about 4 hrs after we go to bed, and I'll lay him on the pillow next to me so we are both on our sides facing each other. He'll fall asleep before I can switch him to the other side. If I leave him like that he'll stay asleep for another 4 or 5 hours. As long as my boob is in his mouth that is. But if I move him he'll wake up about an hour or less later every time.

Does anyone else deal w this? I don't like leaving him attached all night, but I need sleep too. Am I going to create a monster if I don't break him of it? He's only a few weeks old so right now I know he needs it, but I don't want him to be utterly dependent on it. I have to go back to work in a few weeks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ginnygurl97
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I guess I'm just so nervous. My first didn't nurse at night. And I pretty much pumped it all anyway cause of my crazy work schedule.

But I am so loving it! I feel now like I missed out w my first. I'm dreading going back to work :-(
Ginnygurl97
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Thanks for the tips and he just hit three weeks :-)

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Yes it is if you follow safe bedsharing guidelines: http://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.html

Don't lay him on the pillow. Lay him even with your breast. Keep blankets at his waist or dress him warm enough he won't need a blanket. You should also use a separate blanket then your SO.

Breast size means nothing to supply..

The first 6 weeks you can expect him to be attached almost constantly 3 & 6 weeks are huge growth spurts! Eventually he'll work out his sleep/eating schedule so he won't be nursing as much at night.

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I fall asleep with my son in my arms when he falls asleep during night feedings all the time. Or I feed him in the side laying position and have fallen asleep. Typically I wake up as soon as he unlatches and then just hold him in my one arm as I sleep and he uses my arm as a pillow. Its the only way I can get good sleep lol. I like to make sure that there are no pillows or anything near him to be safe though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)