Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have 2 problems... suggestions please!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 22 Replies

My little guy is almost 6 months old and has been very fussy while nursing for the past week. He nurses pretty good on the right (he usually loves this breast, its my better producer) but turns fussy after a couple minutes. .He only breifly takes the left breast and then starts to scream. It doesnt seem to matter if he is getting milk or not he is just not happy. I knkow he doesnt have to take both breasts but this is where my second problem comes in. I get blocked ducts in my left breast every week or so when he doesnt nurse good and even if I pump it doesnt help.  I use a heating pad, massage and pumping but I stilll get them.  So, any ideas of why he is being so fussy while nursing and how to help prevent a blocked duct when he isnt nursing well ( I think I saw a tea for it?)?? Thanks!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Could be a growth spurt. They just get fussy aroud that time. You need to get him to nurse on that side aswell or you will continue to get plugged ducts. Have you checked for an each ache as well? Could be hurting laying on that side. You could try nursing in like the football hold on the left.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM
6 months growth spurt! And probably teething!! You can hand express a bit if needed on that side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busterfoxy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Could be a growth spurt. They just get fussy aroud that time. You need to get him to nurse on that side aswell or you will continue to get plugged ducts. Have you checked for an each ache as well? Could be hurting laying on that side. You could try nursing in like the football hold on the left.

Yes, I thought of that so I have been holding him in the football hold and he lasts about a minute longer and thats it :( How else do you know if they have an earache? He doesnt have a temp or been pulling on his ear. How else do I get him to nurse on that side??!!

busterfoxy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

6 months growth spurt! And probably teething!! You can hand express a bit if needed on that side.

I do try and hand express but it just doesnt seem to get enough milk out! Are they just fussy in general with this growth spurt? He is sleeping a little more the last two days.

kblpooh
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Has he been getting bottles? He could be developing a flow preference. Have you changed anything in your diet that could be affecting your milk taste or giving him stomach troubles?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Yea 6 months is a big one! You *could* pump when you get to the uncomfortable point and hand expression isn't working, but pumping also tell your body to.make more milk which then could make the clogged duct situation worse, so I'd he careful if you want to go down that route. Do you wear underwire bras? Those are notorious for causing clogged ducts!

Quoting busterfoxy:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I do try and hand express but it just doesnt seem to get enough milk out! Are they just fussy in general with this growth spurt? He is sleeping a little more the last two days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busterfoxy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Quoting kblpooh:

Has he been getting bottles? He could be developing a flow preference. Have you changed anything in your diet that could be affecting your milk taste or giving him stomach troubles?

No bottles, he went on a nursing strike a few months ago becasue he was getting bottles and liked the flow better so he hasnt had one since. I will have to be gone from him for about 8 hours next week and im scared to give him a bottle again :(.  Havent changed anything in my diet that I can remember!

busterfoxy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

No underwire bras!! So if I get a blocked duct you think I should only hand express? I guess im thinking if I dont get the milk out it will continue to get worse...is that wrong?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Yea 6 months is a big one! You *could* pump when you get to the uncomfortable point and hand expression isn't working, but pumping also tell your body to.make more milk which then could make the clogged duct situation worse, so I'd he careful if you want to go down that route. Do you wear underwire bras? Those are notorious for causing clogged ducts!

Quoting busterfoxy:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Hand expression personally works best for me when unclogging. Usually nursing baby on that side does the trick, but dd won't nurse when there's a clog so I have to remove it somehow lol. Are you getting engorged before the clog happens or does it just happen? You are right though, getting that milk out is most important, so whatever method you think will work the best, go for it!

Quoting busterfoxy:

No underwire bras!! So if I get a blocked duct you think I should only hand express? I guess im thinking if I dont get the milk out it will continue to get worse...is that wrong?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting busterfoxy:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busterfoxy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Sorry it took so long to respond, no I am not engorged when it happens, if he only doesnt nurse great for one time it happens :(  I just got back form his 6 month check up and sure enough he is teething! His poor little gums are swollen so thats probably the problem. Any extra suggestions to help with the teething pain? Im going to do the cold wash cloths and google it to but want some first hand advice on what works from toher moms! Thanks!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Hand expression personally works best for me when unclogging. Usually nursing baby on that side does the trick, but dd won't nurse when there's a clog so I have to remove it somehow lol. Are you getting engorged before the clog happens or does it just happen? You are right though, getting that milk out is most important, so whatever method you think will work the best, go for it!

Quoting busterfoxy:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting busterfoxy:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)