Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby hasn't gained weight in 6 months...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

I just took in my 18 month old for his routine checkup today and as it turns out, he hasn't gained anything since his 12 month checkup!  

Has anyone seen this before?  He's happy, is meeting all milestones, seems to be eating a well balanced diet, has adequate wet & dirty diapers, is still nursing 4+ times/day, etc.  My first reaction was to say that he's very active, but I suppose almost all 18 month olds are....

I have one other child who is also very slender, but has always been on an upward curve on her growth chart.  The baby takes no formula, nor does he drink any other kind of milk (although, I am not against it and have tried soy and almond milk to no avail).  Both are vegetarian and always have been, but I'm also not completely tied to that either.  Is it possible he's eating too many veggies?  I would assume lack of sufficient calories is the issue here, right?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

WHat does weight look like though? honestly I see kids stop gaining if they gained a great amount before a year.  After a year they move more and eat less ..get pickier so I can see no gain.  Did he grow?

IrishIz
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Did the child grow in height?

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I think DS gained only a poun or 2 between 12 & 18 months. So it's probably normal, but we need the weight history.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My daughter was 24 pounds from one until three. At 5.5 she only weighs 33 lbs! The docs convinced me to try and beef her up with pedia sure, and high fat diet, and you know what, she STILL didn't gain weight. So I came to the conclusion she is a perfectly healthy, wonderful SMALL child :)

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Their weight does slow down by then....maybe he started growing up and may start to gain outward soon. I have no issues witg the vegetarian diet, just make sure hes getting enough fats and protien. Maybe add more avocado, nuts, even coconut oil.....and of course continud nursing.
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM
My DD is 18.6 pounds and 30 inches at 16 mo.
she has barely gained. I recently started adding olive oil to her food
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I thought babies were only supposed to gain 4-6 pounds from year one to two... so you're probably okay? If other milestones are being met, I wouldn't worry too much...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luna321
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM
My son gained about 3 pounds between 1-2 my dr said "well he's not the largest child we've seen but he' not the smallest either" he is 23 pounds at 2- what is his weight? I wouldn't worry- my son is a veggie eater too btw.
luna321
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Tofu, tempeh, avocado, coconut, peanut butter, almond butter are all high cal. and vegetarian. My son eats lots of red lentils cooked with coconut milk and veggies-probably his favorite food after raw red bell peppers (he has strange taste imo)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)