Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

setting limits with nursing.....

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

Mason is 27 months, wants to nurse like a newborn, and I think it really is starting to get to me, so I have been setting limits, but he is just being such a grump. Anyone know how to set limits in a way that doesn't cause a meltdown each time?

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Ok....mamas....any suggestions? I have a toddler whining and having a fit after i said "all done right now" i am feeling so sick right now and he is making it a million times worse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Is he not feeling well himself? How does he do with solids?
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM

What worked for us was keeping my boys busy, keeping their minds off of nursing. I also avoided the place where we nursed (for us it was the couch, as soon as I layed down on the couch, they were like bees on honey LOL)  I also let them nurse but limit the time (when I count to 10, nah nahs are all done!). It wasn't a quick fix but it did work after awhile. 

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM
It depends, he always seems to always prefer to nurse, but he will eat what we eat, half of the time he will spit it out though (unless its a special treat), he seems to be wantinf less solids and to nurse more lately though...he use to be a lot better about eating solids. The only thing i can think of that may be throwing himself off is perhaps hes getting another molar in.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Is he not feeling well himself? How does he do with solids?

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Thats the issue right now, i am drained of my energy and have all day morning sickness, so i have been resting a lot lately.....taking care of only the necessities. His older brothers do help distract him at times.

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

What worked for us was keeping my boys busy, keeping their minds off of nursing. I also avoided the place where we nursed (for us it was the couch, as soon as I layed down on the couch, they were like bees on honey LOL)  I also let them nurse but limit the time (when I count to 10, nah nahs are all done!). It wasn't a quick fix but it did work after awhile. 

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

So sorry Julia. I forgot you were pregnant. That's tough. I hope you find something that works for you! 

Quoting Precious333:

Thats the issue right now, i am drained of my energy and have all day morning sickness, so i have been resting a lot lately.....taking care of only the necessities. His older brothers do help distract him at times.

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM

me too, you would thik after doing this 2 times this wouldn't be an issue! Right now the boys are intertaning Mason, but now he;s getting into trouble! Part of me thinks it would be easier if he was younger...or older, or anything but 2!

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

So sorry Julia. I forgot you were pregnant. That's tough. I hope you find something that works for you! 

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM

My twins are 28 months and it's the same way for us. I have 3 nursing and there are times when I feel like I do nothing but nurse kids all day! I do what I can to delay the twins or distract but it doesn't work for long. Not sure what the answer is!

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Some kids get extra clingy when mom is pregnant.
Supposedly, your milk changes when you get closer to the end and it acts to deter most from continuing to breastfeed. So the problem might fix itself soon.

Would you be willing to pump and put it into a sippy cup for him so you don't feel so pressured or run down if he wants milk?
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Some kids get extra clingy when mom is pregnant.
Supposedly, your milk changes when you get closer to the end and it acts to deter most from continuing to breastfeed. So the problem might fix itself soon.

Would you be willing to pump and put it into a sippy cup for him so you don't feel so pressured or run down if he wants milk?

I can see that being true for sure! none of my kids wanted to wean while I was pregnant. Maybe if I pump that may help, I will try that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)