Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Now i understand why people give up

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am not to that point for my own self, but i can see how it would seem like the easier choice to just give in and formula feed.

Ive had cracked and bleeding nipples, i started using nipple shields and im on antibiotics now for mastitis and now she's refusing to wean from the shields at night. :-/

Combine that with feeling like all i ever do is feed a baby and it makes sense. I dont plan on giving up, and the couple of times it has crossed my mind i think about what that would mean. ...I'd still be feeding the baby constantly, except i'd have to prepare the formula and have a bunch of bottles and clean them afterwards and also how that will effect the health of my baby. But i can certainly still see how easy it would be to just give in (especially with a lack of knowledge and/or support).

I'm 2 1/2 weeks in. I keep telling myself i've got about 4 weeks to go before it gets easy. lol :-)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SchmidtyBaby
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Hang in there! You are so right. Formula wouldn't be easier. And it would cost a lot. Yes, in 4 more weeks you'll feel like a pro!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WheelerWife
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Breast feeding is DEFINITELY hard in the beginning, and sometimes even beyond that. 

Have you tried Lansinoh cream for you nipples? I found out about it after my second son was born. It was a huge help with the cracking and it seemed like he could latch on a bit easier with the cream on. Plus it's a great lip balm too. :0) 

Keep  up the good work!! You're doing great!! 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

HUGS momma stick with it, yeah I can understand why women give up, I wish BFing was easier for moms

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I felt the same way for about 2 months. It got easier at each 2 week interval (6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks....). I'm so glad I stuck with it though!

Has baby's latch been checked? Checked for a tongue or lip tie?
sbreece
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm almost 4 months in and still have those bouts of questioning myself. My baby is teething and has learned to bite. The only time I bleed is when she bites. And that's the only time I question whether or not its worth it anymore. But..I suck it up, wipe the blood away, and slather on some lanolin. Because its not about me anymore. I want the best for her..even if it means losing a nipple or two. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember those days & I was posting things like that too. I totally understand why so many people give up. It's hard work & the hardest part for me was the fact that no one can help me. I had all these dreams of pumping & having my hubby feed her so I could sleep, man was I wrong. lol. I'm 4 months in & I still think that sometimes. It would be nice just to have 1 night off. One thing I can say is the middle of the night feeding are so much easier than formula feeding. I never formula fed so I wouldnt know but I cant imagine actually having to get up & out of bed to feed her. It takes me a whole 10 mins to get her fed & back to sleep & I never get out of bed. I love that part. I promise that it gets easier & it will real soon. Everything seemed to change for me after 2 months. We got on a better schedule & I finally got more than 2 hours of sleep. Now she sleeps for 4 hours & nurses in 10 mins instead of 45 mins like in the begining. Your doing a great job, keep up the good work momma :)

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I said the same thing to my husband. I had those thoughts during the 3 week growth spurt.  We made it through and now at 6 weeks....we both feel like pros when it comes to breastfeeding.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

outstandingLove
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I felt the same way for about 2 months. It got easier at each 2 week interval (6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks....). I'm so glad I stuck with it though!

Has baby's latch been checked? Checked for a tongue or lip tie?

Yes, i've seen two IBCLC's and have spoken with 2 others. No tongue or lip tie. The second LC i saw said she had a poerful suck due to the stress of my labor and delivery. i believe her since when i can get DD to latch without the shield its no longer painful like it was but im not doing anything different than before.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. 

MrsNiko88
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I am 4 months in and it does get better. I told myself in the beginning that I would not quit on a bad day, and when I felt like quitting it was usually a bad day. I'm so glad we stuck it out!
Aslen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I remember those days with my oldest. It gets better I promise!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)