Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi! New to this...Help?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM
  • 20 Replies

My name is Heather. I have a 4 year old DD but only FF her. I now have a son who is a week old...and I got the strong urge to breastfeed when he was just 5 days old. So I have been kinda doing both. I have a wic appointment tomorrow at noon, and I am going to talk to them about this...but I havent fully BF just yet because I have way too many questions. I dont know what all goes into this. I have been told you have to watch what you eat and drink (which is obvious)...but IDK how close it has to be watched. If that makes sense.

I just dont know what I am doing at all. Do you ladies have any advice for someone who is just starting out?

Thanks in advance for your help!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM
There's need to avoid any food or liquids while breastfeeding, unless baby has a reaction to it.
If he will latch, out him to the breast and leave him there! Atleast 6 diapers a day (poop counts as 2, really wet counts as 2) means he's getting plenty!
How often are you nursing and how much formula is he getting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cullen.Girlie.
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Okay. That is awesome. Sadly he has more formula than he does breast. But I am planning on changing that. I would eat something and then freak out and give him formula! I am awful! But if there arent really any restrictions, then I will go back to it full force!!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

There's need to avoid any food or liquids while breastfeeding, unless baby has a reaction to it.
If he will latch, out him to the breast and leave him there! Atleast 6 diapers a day (poop counts as 2, really wet counts as 2) means he's getting plenty!
How often are you nursing and how much formula is he getting?

christineT79
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Check out Kellymom.com & read as much as you can. You don't have to watch what you eat unless he has a reaction & that's usually dairy & dosnt happen that often. I eat everything under the sun with no problems including coffee. Just put him on the breast as much as you possibly can. The more he nurses the more milk you will make. It's gonna seem like he's nursing all the time & that's normal. My baby used to nurse every 2 hours round the clock & would nurse for an hour straight. It only lasts like that for the first month or two & then things get really easy. Just count diapers & keep a log in the begining. I used to just set out 6 diapers a day on my changing table & just made sure I used them all. Ohh & drink lots of water. Your gonna feel really thirsty & that's normal. I'll never forget how thirsty I was in the begining. One day I drank an entire gallon of water. lol. Good luck momma & congratulations :)

Paradys
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM
The only restrictions are don't nurse if your to drunk to drive and if baby has a reaction (throwing-up, rash, or extremely fussy) try to figure out what new food you've eaten.
To wean back to full breastfeeding you'll need to replace one bottle per day till your on full nursing only. Go to kellymom.com and look up the section on wean from bottle, great site for breastfeeding help.
Come back anytime you have a question.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cullen.Girlie.

Oh wow!! That is a lot of water LOL! Thank you!! I feel more confident now...Because I dont eat the healthiest. So, do I have to stop him and burp him like I do with formula?

And thanks!!! :)

Quoting christineT79:

Check out Kellymom.com & read as much as you can. You don't have to watch what you eat unless he has a reaction & that's usually dairy & dosnt happen that often. I eat everything under the sun with no problems including coffee. Just put him on the breast as much as you possibly can. The more he nurses the more milk you will make. It's gonna seem like he's nursing all the time & that's normal. My baby used to nurse every 2 hours round the clock & would nurse for an hour straight. It only lasts like that for the first month or two & then things get really easy. Just count diapers & keep a log in the begining. I used to just set out 6 diapers a day on my changing table & just made sure I used them all. Ohh & drink lots of water. Your gonna feel really thirsty & that's normal. I'll never forget how thirsty I was in the begining. One day I drank an entire gallon of water. lol. Good luck momma & congratulations :)

DragonMother10
Keep track of what you eat. Sometimes babies are allergic too foods or become highly gassy, especially with dairy products. If your son reacts to certain foods, eliminate certain foods and reintroduce them slowly back into your diet. Search for the list of foods to watch out for. Limit your caffeine intake and don't drink alcohol. If you do decide to drink alcohol, the pump and dump method is no good. First pump enough if you plan on drinking. The more alcohol you drink the longer it takes to get out of your system. Also if your son prefers formula and you want to exclusively give him breastmilk, make it a slow transition. Add breastmilk to the formula and slowly add more breastmilk and less formula. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlexSosa
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM

The only thing you need to watch out for as far as what you eat and drink are alcohol and drugs, unless you baby has allergies, which is pretty rare. Eating McDonalds wont hurt LO at all. Just make sure you are getting enough nutrition, meaning taking a daily vitamin, and getting enough calories. Good for you in choosing to breastfeed, and dont worry about how long LO is nursing, he will be bringing your milk supply up for a little while. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help, I recieved a lot of help in the beginning so I know how hard it can be when you are unsure about something.

christineT79
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Oh wow!! That is a lot of water LOL! Thank you!! I feel more confident now...Because I dont eat the healthiest. So, do I have to stop him and burp him like I do with formula?

And thanks!!! :)

Quoting christineT79:

I don't eat very healthy either. I'm getting better but in the begining when I wasnt sleeping I ate alot of easy fast food like pizza. The only thing you really need to produce milk is water. You obviously need to eat but it dosnt have to be super healthy. Your body will take all the vitamins from your body & put it in your milk for your baby. Continue to take your pre-natal vitamin everyday. Drink to thirst so if you feel like drinking a gallon of water then drink a gallon of water. I used to burp my baby after nursing her in the very begining but I don't anymore. They don't swollow air the way they do with a bottle since there is no air in your breasts. It's a lot easier then you think.

Paradys
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Oh, almost forgot, NO timing at the breast. Put lo to breast, nurse till he pops off, burp, and then offer other side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Mama, i think you are way over thinking this. Breastfeeding is not rocket science. Drink and eat when you are thirsty ans hungry. Nurse baby whenever and however long as baby wants....simple as that.

As far as weaning off formula, i believe www.kellymom.com has info on that. What you can do for now is nurse first and then give a little formula after baby nurses. Does he latch onto you? You can burp after you nurse, some breastfed babiea do need to be burpes after when they are young, and some are fine withoit being burped, burping never hurts though. Gl
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)