Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

best way to ship milk?? plesse help, baby in urgent need

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM
  • 13 Replies
A friend of mine just had a baby. Dr is demanding she supplement and telling her shes not producing enough! I told her I'll send her all the milk I have frozen which is around 60oz.
What is the best way to ensure it does not thaw during shipping? I'm in Lubbock, she's in Irving.
Please help us!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

You need a styrofoam cooler, as well as a shipping box.  Line the bottom of the cooler with newspaper.  Pack the milk in as close as you can, with a tiny bit of breathing/expansion room, and fill in any air pockets with news paper as well- air circulation equals thawing.  Since it is such a small amount you want ice packs or dry ice on top.  Tightly tape the lid on the cooler, making sure there is no gapping- you want the cold sealed in.  Put the cooler in the box and then tape the box shut, send by UPS or FEDEX.  This is how I shipped milk to PA from MO, minus the ice because I had over three hundred ounces and that much milk keeps itself cold.  It got there in about three days still frozen solid.  This may help: 

http://milksharing.blogspot.com/2010/12/shipping-breast-milk.html?m=1

http://milksharing.blogspot.com/2011/01/shipping-time-and-cost.html?m=1

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is her baby? What are the diaper counts? Im wondering if tge doctor really has a reason to be concerned.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM
*sigh* just a few weeks. And her dipes are great! 8 or more a day!

Sadly, due to circumstances beyond her control and not really her fault, cps is involved in her life so she is unwilling to go against the doctors advice because he will report that to her case worker. She's young and scared and getting treated like shit.

I'm hoping with any milk I can send her a long with informational packets will help her long enough for her to get her case closed so she can go to a new doc.

Quoting Precious333:

How old is her baby? What are the diaper counts? Im wondering if tge doctor really has a reason to be concerned.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM

wow! Whoever he doctor is, I don't think anyone should be referred to them again! Can she pump at all? Maybe she can nurse and suppliment with her own milk after, just to keep cps off her shoulders, and get a second opinion as well!

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Sadly, due to circumstances beyond her control and not really her fault, cps is involved in her life so she is unwilling to go against the doctors advice because he will report that to her case worker. She's young and scared and getting treated like shit.

I'm hoping with any milk I can send her a long with informational packets will help her long enough for her to get her case closed so she can go to a new doc.

Quoting Precious333:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
TattoodMommy19
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM
She gets 20 ml on average when pumping. I explained to her that this is not an indication of how much she is making. I also explained her baby as a newborn has a tiny stomach. The baby is only 10 days old, I thought she was a bit older.
So tiny tummy, small amount of milk obviously. Lol.

I'm hoping the milk I can send her will last long enough. At least a week. To get this all settled.

I feel awful for her. The doc is an asshole. Plain and simple. He's horribly rude to her. I'm guessing because she looks much younger than she is.

Quoting Precious333:

wow! Whoever he doctor is, I don't think anyone should be referred to them again! Can she pump at all? Maybe she can nurse and suppliment with her own milk after, just to keep cps off her shoulders, and get a second opinion as well!

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Quoting Precious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Make sure she doesn't go back to that doctor.

First comment gave awesome shipping directions. You're a pretty awesome friend for wanting to help like this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Thanks!
I'm sure trying. She says she doesn't want to use formula at all so I'll do whatever I can to support her.
Lord knows that girl needs someone in her corner. :(

Quoting Mrsfarr:

First comment gave awesome shipping directions. You're a pretty awesome friend for wanting to help like this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM

so sad :( I would definitely make sure she sees someone else. Does anyoneknow if she can switch doctirs when cps is involved? 

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

She gets 20 ml on average when pumping. I explained to her that this is not an indication of how much she is making. I also explained her baby as a newborn has a tiny stomach. The baby is only 10 days old, I thought she was a bit older.

I'm hoping the milk I can send her will last long enough. At least a week. To get this all settled.

I feel awful for her. The doc is an asshole. Plain and simple. He's horribly rude to her. I'm guessing because she looks much younger than she is.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Quoting Precious333:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
preacherskid
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this

There are no rules against getting a second opinion, and if it can get CPS off her and onto a REAL case it could be a good thing.  CPS likely just wants to see proof that she is keeping her baby's best interests first, and that she is making an effort to comply with doctors.  If she can show that another doctor has a different opinion of the care she is providing and her baby's health that may help her case a great deal.  I would recommend she notify her case worker she is seeking a second opinion, not to get permission but just so the worker isn't surprised.  As long as the doctor is qualified there should be no problem in finding a different doctor for a second opinion- she has the right to change medical providers whenever she wants, even on state insurance or dealing with CPS, if she feels her current provider is not meeting her child's needs, or if the provider is in any other way unsuitable- like creating a hostile environment.

Quoting Precious333:

so sad :( I would definitely make sure she sees someone else. Does anyoneknow if she can switch doctirs when cps is involved? 

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Quoting Precious333:

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Thanks!
I'm sure trying. She says she doesn't want to use formula at all so I'll do whatever I can to support her.
Lord knows that girl needs someone in her corner. :(

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Sounds like doc has for whatever reason pulled FTT out of his pocket- have her see if she can get donor milk, possibly from a milk bank (if baby is labeled FTT and in need of supplement, insurance should cover banked milk cost)since CPS is involved and you don't want him going off claiming she is supplementing with unsafe milk that we drug addled AIDS and HIV ridden hippies are handing out *sarcasm of course but strangely enough the medical community takes a dim view of informal milk sharing*

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)