Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

AF & BFing

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have read some other posts by some moms saying that when they are on their monthly, their LOs tend to be fussy and not want to nurse. I have been crampy for a few days, and got a few migraines (my symptoms just before my monthly comes on) but no other signs so far, but I am wondering if maybe it would change my bm's taste at all even a little. I was trying to nurse my dd (in 2 previous posts on here I was having issues, and was told it sounded like she was teething) I tried to nurse on the right side (is usually more full and she can feed better on that side than the left, the left feels extremely empty) and DD fussed and cried badly. We gave her a teething tablet because she had been chewing on her teething ring and drooling like nuts and she fell asleep. She ended up waking up, so I decided to try to feed her on the left side. She did, and once she started to fuss and unlatch I burped her. Afterwards, she seemed hungry still, so I decided to give the right side a try again, and had the same issue as before she fell asleep. Extremely fussy, screaming and crying and refusing the breast.

I don't really understand why and it is kind of upsetting me and getting me frustrated :/

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
youngmom16
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM

BUMP!

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM
How old? I never had issues when i startedy period, or even being pregnant, with my kids noy nursing. It sounds like teething. Have you tried freezing breastmilk and putting it in a meshbag? Have you heard of amber necklaces?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamang
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I definitely notice my son getting fussy around that time of the month. It feels like I'm not making as much milk. He'll only nurse for a few minutes and be really fussy, then want to latch back on an hour or so later. Whether it's teething or a difference in your BM just keep at it and eventually things will go back to normal.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

youngmom16
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM

She's 2 months old today. I have 6oz frozen in the freezer, but am not producing enough to have much extra for anything. I resorted to pumping the right side (the side she refused) and only got 1 oz. she accepted it in a bottle. And no, I havent heard of amber necklaces, what are they?

Quoting Precious333:

How old? I never had issues when i startedy period, or even being pregnant, with my kids noy nursing. It sounds like teething. Have you tried freezing breastmilk and putting it in a meshbag? Have you heard of amber necklaces?

polkaspots
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM
How old is your little one? My son is just about 11 months and when he gets like that I wait for him to nurse himself. He tugs my shirt and puts his face into my chest. Trying to nurse him just doesn't work for us anymore. Teething makes babies more sensitive to everything. It's being in pain. Everything is worse when you're in pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Moms use amber necklaces to help qith teething. How often do you give a bottle? Do you have overactive letdown at all? There could be a number of reasons for her fussiness and not wanting to nurse. Have you look at the inside od her mouth....does she have any white patches?

Quoting youngmom16:

She's 2 months old today. I have 6oz frozen in the freezer, but am not producing enough to have much extra for anything. I resorted to pumping the right side (the side she refused) and only got 1 oz. she accepted it in a bottle. And no, I havent heard of amber necklaces, what are they?

Quoting Precious333:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Okay never mind a two month old has to be offered be breast. Baltic amber teething necklaces are worn because wearing them makes them release a substance (I forget the name) that helps the pain and swelling of teething.
http://www.amberartisans.com/amtene.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
youngmom16
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I had to give her a bottle yesterday afternoon because she refused to nurse from me no matter what i tried. We almost did tonight, but she calmed down enough that we were able to avoid it. As for the overactive letdown, Sometimes. Usually first thing in the morning, but she doesn't choke, gag, or anything. It doesn't seem to be too severe. As for the inside of her mouth, no white patches. It looks fine

Quoting Precious333:

Moms use amber necklaces to help qith teething. How often do you give a bottle? Do you have overactive letdown at all? There could be a number of reasons for her fussiness and not wanting to nurse. Have you look at the inside od her mouth....does she have any white patches?

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM

maybe instead of a bottle you can put some milk in a syringe and have her suck your finger until she calms downa and then try and latch after she is calmed.

Quoting youngmom16:

I had to give her a bottle yesterday afternoon because she refused to nurse from me no matter what i tried. We almost did tonight, but she calmed down enough that we were able to avoid it. As for the overactive letdown, Sometimes. Usually first thing in the morning, but she doesn't choke, gag, or anything. It doesn't seem to be too severe. As for the inside of her mouth, no white patches. It looks fine

Quoting Precious333:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
youngmom16
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM
We tried that. She got a few sucks in then freaked, and I'm not sure why :(

Quoting Precious333:

maybe instead of a bottle you can put some milk in a syringe and have her suck your finger until she calms downa and then try and latch after she is calmed.

Quoting youngmom16:

Quoting Precious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)