Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to work.

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ladies I am trying to find part time work but in really worried about my breastfeeding relationship with my son :( he just turned 9 months old and has only been breastfed. He did take a bottle in the beginning but never really liked it so we stopped. Figured no reason to get him started this late. Now he is on a silly cup. But I'm worried about goin back to work. What will happen? How will he react? I can barely leave him for an hour let alone several on end.
Next question how often should I pump ? I know where ever I get a job they have to give me time to pump but currently Ian nurses ever 45 min :-/ it's crazy. So if you could please help!!!
Any advice is good advice!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ginnygurl97
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have any advice for you :-( but I too am worried what happens when I go back. He'll be 4 mos and I work full time hours and my schedule changes. Mine will take a bottle, but he does not like it. My first I only pumped so this is new to me as well.

Hope we can both get some useful advice!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ParanormalSarah
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Try not to nurse more than 15 minutes in one sitting - the double pumps/electric are best to be most efficient and I pumped every 1.5 - 2 hours. I only work 5 hours a day so I pumped/nursed before leaving for work and pumped when I got home - then nursed back to back. If you're worried about him, don't - they say to starve for the breast so he can have soft foods, even puffies at 9 months and last till you get hom and he'll have missed you too! Too keep up your lactation, just be sure you pump at least once while at work, drink lots of water and try the mothers milk tea.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Babies will not starve themselves. Bottles should not be given by mom, or even if mom is present. Rule of thumb is 1-1.5 ounces for every hour mom is away from baby. Milk can be given in sippy cup if done slowly. Burp after every ounce. Check kellymom.com for relevant articles. Hope this helps!
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Quoting IansMommy2012:

What will happen? How will he react? I can barely leave him for an hour let alone several on end.
Day one, whatever has normally happend when you leave him will happen. Day two. he'll be adjusted to the new reality. It really will be harder on you than on him. Life is nothing but a series of challenges, even for our kids. For them it's actually the hardest challenge... growing up!
Next question how often should I pump ?
Once for every three hours away.
I know where ever I get a job they have to give me time to pump but currently Ian nurses ever 45 min :-/ it's crazy. So if you could please help!!!

IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM
He's been eatinthe puffs and yogurt for several months now.

Quoting ParanormalSarah:

Try not to nurse more than 15 minutes in one sitting - the double pumps/electric are best to be most efficient and I pumped every 1.5 - 2 hours. I only work 5 hours a day so I pumped/nursed before leaving for work and pumped when I got home - then nursed back to back. If you're worried about him, don't - they say to starve for the breast so he can have soft foods, even puffies at 9 months and last till you get hom and he'll have missed you too! Too keep up your lactation, just be sure you pump at least once while at work, drink lots of water and try the mothers milk tea.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM
He drinks more than that when he nurses. But I've never counted while he drinks out of a sippy cup :-/

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Babies will not starve themselves. Bottles should not be given by mom, or even if mom is present. Rule of thumb is 1-1.5 ounces for every hour mom is away from baby. Milk can be given in sippy cup if done slowly. Burp after every ounce. Check kellymom.com for relevant articles. Hope this helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM
My mom has watched him a few times but only for a couple hours. Nothing like how it will be when I start working :-(
I guess I'm more worked up than he will be huh? Lol

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

What will happen? How will he react? I can barely leave him for an hour let alone several on end.
Day one, whatever has normally happend when you leave him will happen. Day two. he'll be adjusted to the new reality. It really will be harder on you than on him. Life is nothing but a series of challenges, even for our kids. For them it's actually the hardest challenge... growing up!

Next question how often should I pump ?
Once for every three hours away.
I know where ever I get a job they have to give me time to pump but currently Ian nurses ever 45 min :-/ it's crazy. So if you could please help!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Most of the time that;s exactly it. The babies do better than the moms.

littlecheifsmom
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM

my son is 9 months old. he take bpttlew done with dh there qre days whem he will eat less and wait for me to come home. other days he eatsote amd stoll nurses when i get home.  at first it was hard but we have worked through it.

IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Well that makes me feel better!!!!

Quoting littlecheifsmom:

my son is 9 months old. he take bpttlew done with dh there qre days whem he will eat less and wait for me to come home. other days he eatsote amd stoll nurses when i get home.  at first it was hard but we have worked through it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)