Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pacifiers?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:44 AM
  • 27 Replies

Do you give your baby a pacifier? If so, what kind? Does baby like it? I think i might introduce it, but afraid it willinterfere  with breastfeeding, 

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Octobermom2012
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Btw...my baby is 3 months.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this

ASk ten moms, get ten different answers. **smile** because BABY holds the answer to pacifiers... it's different for every baby. Mine would not take ANY. Some witll take anything under the sun. Some will be particular. And some should never have a pacifier.

Unfortunately, this is a learn by doing exercise. Pick ONE of the type you wan to try; Soothies, Gum Drops, MAM, Nuk... whatever you like. If baby changes the latch and start shurting you it's a loser and you toss it. You can try with another if you want.

squeakers2
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
My son got one (it was a Gumdrop one) in the hospital due to a misunderstanding. It did not affect his nursing. However, he is 3 months old also and since he found his hands, refuses to take it. He was not particularly attached to it in the first place (maybe for 5 minutes at a time).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM
I offered several different types with all 3 of my boys. The most interest I got was from my youngest and he only chewed on them like teethers!

If u want to offer one just pick one to try and offer it. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Agreed.
Ds got one bottle and it ruined his latch. He used bottles and pacifiers and i wasnt successful in ebf
Dd1 never would take a pacifier and only took bottles of bm while i was at work and is still nursing at 3yr2mo
Dd2 has never taken a bottle(even when i was gone for 5-6hrs) she uses nuk or mam pacifiers (i prefer mam) and still bf at 9.5mo.

Quoting gdiamante:

ASk ten moms, get ten different answers. **smile** because BABY holds the answer to pacifiers... it's different for every baby. Mine would not take ANY. Some witll take anything under the sun. Some will be particular. And some should never have a pacifier.

Unfortunately, this is a learn by doing exercise. Pick ONE of the type you wan to try; Soothies, Gum Drops, MAM, Nuk... whatever you like. If baby changes the latch and start shurting you it's a loser and you toss it. You can try with another if you want.

rHOPEb
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I never did with our daughter.  And she never really liked 'fake' nipples.  She never took a bottle or paci and took forever for to take a sippy.

Now, our son has taken a paci since he was 1day old!  He has to suck.  I argued with a nurse at the hospital b/c he kept fussing and I told her I just needed a paci (I did not pack one b/c I'm anti-paci) and she kept telling me I needed to pump and give him more milk b/c I wasn't giving him enough.  UGH!  I could squeeze out milk.  Anyway....gave him a paci....problem solved!  Tada!!!!  hahahaha.  He's 6mos and he likes the TommyTippie or Nuk.  It saved my sanity while recovering from the emergency c-section.  We are still EBF and he is definitely attached at the boobie!!!!

juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM
My dd loved the mam pacis , I breast feed for a few months but then I got this infection and couldn't put myself through the pain. She also used mam bottles ( once I started pumping) . But every baby is different. I can say once we got the paci figured out she would sleep a little bit longer than normal .
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM
My dd got one at 2 days old per my request. She used it occasionally until she fully weaned herself from it at 14 months old. As long as it doesn't change their latch or cause any nursing issues and as long as it's not being used to prolong feedings, I see no issues with it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Oh and she used mostly MAM and NUK.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

MIlo likes the soothies, but will only take one for a few minutes.  So far...it has not interfered with his latch.  He is 6 weeks old.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)