Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

...To still wake up every two to three hours to nurse? My son is nine months old. His pediatrician told me to try giving him more solids and milk during the day but it's not helping. Karter also will not eat any solids until the afternoon. Before noon, he only wants milk. He also told me to try to wean him from night feedings. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

ETA- Karter weighs 19 pounds and 3 ounces.

Another ETA- His pediatriciantold me to wean night feedings only by offering more solids and breast milk during the day.  He said at his age, he should be sleeping through the night.

Karter only gets breast milk, no formula at all.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Replies (61-70):
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That seems normal to me. I would not push more solids. Before 1 year solids are for practice.

mommabee0711
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

my son is 20 months and until he was 18 months old he would wake up several times a night to nurse or co-sleep. some babies/toddlers just need more affection in my opinion..but they outgrow it

gifted360
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
if you have no problem with breastfeeding then you should continue until you and the child is ready,my first child breastfeed until he was two years old,he decided to stop when i was 5 months pregnant with my second child,my 5th child just stopped breastfeeding,its whats best for the child.. your doing a great job just be being concern...keep up the goood work.
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Even if baby is weaned, he may still get up. My oldest stopped nursing at night at 9 months but still woke up 2-3 times until he was 2.5 years old. My daughter is completely weaned and usually wakes up once a night and occasionally sleeps through. It just depends on the child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crheinheimer
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 20 months and still wakes several times at night to nurse. I realize that's a little depressing to think about that far down the road for you :) but he's healthy and happy and very active.
misslady80013
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Thank you.  I meant only weaning the night feedings, I want to continue breastfeeding for at least a year and will let him self wean or stop at two years old, which ever happens first.  I love and enjoy our binding during nursing.  It is something only him and I can do together, I enjoy our quality time.

Quoting gifted360:

if you have no problem with breastfeeding then you should continue until you and the child is ready,my first child breastfeed until he was two years old,he decided to stop when i was 5 months pregnant with my second child,my 5th child just stopped breastfeeding,its whats best for the child.. your doing a great job just be being concern...keep up the goood work.

misslady80013
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Yes, my son doesn't get any formula, only breastmilk.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Well my 16 month old nurse every 2-3 hours. He didn't want solids until 13 months but doesn't eat much still and nurses 12 times a day(3-4 between 9pm-7am when we're sleeping.)

When you day milk you mean breastmilk right?

Quoting misslady80013:

...To still wake up every two to three hours to nurse? My son is nine months old. His pediatrician told me to try giving him more solids and milk during the day but it's not helping. Karter also will not eat any solids until the afternoon. Before noon, he only wants milk. He also told me to try to wean him from night feedings. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

ETA- Karter weighs 19 pounds and 3 ounces.

misslady80013
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Just the night feedings, not stop breastfeeding altogether.

Quoting doulala:

Sounds normal to me.      That was how I raised my kids.

The doctor told you to wean, why??

doulala
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Right~  I just wondered why.

Quoting misslady80013:

Just the night feedings, not stop breastfeeding altogether.

Quoting doulala:

Sounds normal to me.      That was how I raised my kids.

The doctor told you to wean, why??

misslady80013
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I agree with what you said and that's why I still nurse him during the night.

Quoting Juliet8826:

There is no evidence that at any certain age they no longer need night calories. I like to follow my baby's lead and so if she wakes and wants to nurse then that is what we do. She is 15 months and still nurses ever 2-3 hours most nights. Sometimes she goes longer and I feel sure that when she outgrows this need she will easily sleep for long stretches. Some days I am tired and wish that I could just get her to sleep all night, but that is just not who she is, so I try to roll with that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN