Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what should I do?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
My baby is 11 days old and in the middle of a growth spurt. He wants to nurse every waking moment, which normally I would be fine with, but I think he has reflux. He projectile spits up after every feeding. After spitting up he automatically wants to nurse again, but then he spits that up too. What should I do? Do I nurse him anyway or make him wait a bit? His 2 week appointment is in a few days so I'll talk to his Dr then, but I need advice in the mean time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Nurse upright more. Put baby over the breast and see if that helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I would have him wait a little while if you can, let his stomach settle down. Try having him nurse in a sitting up position.
Paradys
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Totally normal as long as lo doesn't seem to be in pain. The little flap at the top of the stomach is not closed yet, they tend to over eat and when they do they'll spit up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM
All babies technically have reflux. It's when it's severe and causes pain that you need to see the doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole4ray
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM
That's good to know, I never realized that.

Quoting Paradys:

Totally normal as long as lo doesn't seem to be in pain. The little flap at the top of the stomach is not closed yet, they tend to over eat and when they do they'll spit up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't close till 6 months, so we always say a happy spitter is fine. One who cries or has a hard belly is a sign something is wrong.
I wouldn't ask the pedi about this, unless they are very pro-breastfeeding, mothers have been told to start formula or cereal over things like this.

Quoting nicole4ray:

That's good to know, I never realized that.

Quoting Paradys:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by Stephanie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine was spitting up projectile that young and nursing, spitting, nursing constantly.  I ended up having severe oversupply.  Once that was managed it was way better.

Paradys
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:29 AM
Go to kellymom.com and look up oversupply/over-active letdown.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM
More than likely it is over active let down. Try nursing in a side laying position or leaned back in a recliner. That may help baby deal with the faster flow. And cereal is not the answer. Baby is way too young
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN