Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Still breastfeeding at almost 24 months....HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am a Mom to a 16, 5, and almost 2 year old...who is still night feeding! She also co-sleeps and I am a walking zombie most days due to the broken sleep and nightly awakenings at 3 a.m. when she decides to get up and wants to play! I loved breast feeding but I'm sooooo ready for it to end. Any suggestions? Do I need to deal with the sleeping issue before the weaning issue?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalemWitchChild
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Just do it slowly. Instead of nursing at night distract her with something else. A toy or stuffed animal. Read to her or rock her.

luna321
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Your call- night weaning might be enough to save your sanity, check out this link- I'll thinking of trying this for my 25 month old.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

SadieJames
by Sarah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Be aware that night weaning does not mean she will sleep through the night - they are separate issues.  You can wean as a start but she may still want to get up and play.

kris0921
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I didn't have that problem so heres a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenuck
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I totally agree....Dd is just about 23 months and she still wakes up @3 am and 4:30 then 6 if I dont work. I will nurse her at 3am then hubby takes over after that she will take a sippy. She sleeps like daddy.

Quoting SadieJames:

Be aware that night weaning does not mean she will sleep through the night - they are separate issues.  You can wean as a start but she may still want to get up and play.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swala
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Thanks for the responses - I go to bed with the intent to start to wean and then give in because I'm too tired  - her will is always stronger than mine!

Inlove2013
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I would suggest maybe getting her a bed of her own to sleep and just completely stop nursing. It will be extremely hard at first. When she wakes up I would continue to put her back in her bed over and over again. You sound like you would like some sleep! My child was 18 months old and this is what I did! A little support n advice can get anyone through tough times! Good luck! Lets us all know!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
randhferedinos
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM
I night weaned my 2 year old a year more than a year ago and she still wakes at least once but usually more like three times per night. She needs snuggles and a kiss to fall asleep again.

Mistakenly, I believed that weaning would lead to better sleep :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM

See the dr jay article on night weaning. THE single best thing for any parent who wants to get the small ration of sleep they're contractually allowed. (Death, taxes, never getting a full night again... your three guarantees!)

I would either move baby or wean, NOT DO BOTH. THat's an invitation to many more sleepless nights than if you pick one and stick with it.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a common misconception. My oldest was FF and didn't sleep through the night a single time until she was over 2 and didn't sleep through the night on a regular basis until she was almost 4. Feeding and sleeping are two very differnet issues and often times one has no effect over the other.

Quoting randhferedinos:

I night weaned my 2 year old a year more than a year ago and she still wakes at least once but usually more like three times per night. She needs snuggles and a kiss to fall asleep again.

Mistakenly, I believed that weaning would lead to better sleep :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)