Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

4 month check-up.. Need advice.

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 46 Replies
We just got out of my ds 4 month check up and everything is great. He is getting breast milk only. I love his pedi and was very supportive of me EPing since he was struggling at breast. The only thing is she wants me to try cereal. She said not to push it if he doesn't like it. I know most of you are against it. What are some pros and cons?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
DD didn't seem satisfied with just breast at 4 months and I was scared they were going to have me supplement but he said she seems ready for rice.... She did fine with it
MaddiesMama09
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
5 moms liked this
The cereal is useless at any age. Especially before 6 months. Solids of any kind before that age is a bad choice. I'm surprised that so many peds still make that recommendation. Baby Cereal has almost no nutritional value and is way less calories (not good for growing babies). Just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hnischke
by Heather on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM
She said to try a little bit right before bedtime in addition to his normal feed. I don't see the point in it. My husband says to think about it and try it once to see how he likes it.

Quoting MaddiesMama09:

The cereal is useless at any age. Especially before 6 months. Solids of any kind before that age is a bad choice. I'm surprised that so many peds still make that recommendation. Baby Cereal has almost no nutritional value and is way less calories (not good for growing babies). Just my opinion.

MollyJmommy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I skipped cereal and went straight to mushed up fruit and veggies also i'd wait till at least 6 months old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.Martinez201
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM
i think dd was about 5 months she loved it and slept much better, ds had health issues his diet was all kinda crazy
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM
3 moms liked this
baby doesnt need anything until six months at least. You can even wait until around eight months. There is no reason for solids especially if weight and all is great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
The iron in the cereal can actually prohibit iron absorption from your milk and cause anemia. If you really wanna try rice i suggest you make your own. But we waited until 6 months as recommended by the aap and started with baked sweet potato
corkysunshine
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Our pedi says no water or solids before 6 months our daughter only gets breastmilk. If your uneasy maybe get a second opinion from another pedi :)
corkysunshine
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Oh one question is your baby doing well with weight? If so just continue with your liquid gold :)
hnischke
by Heather on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM
He's doing great now. He just weighed in at 14 lbs 3.5 oz. he was born at 36 weeks weighing 6lbs 3.5oz. He dipped a little below 6 in the nicu and was discharged at 13 days old weighing exactly 6lbs even.

Quoting corkysunshine:

Oh one question is your baby doing well with weight? If so just continue with your liquid gold :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)