Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Would this hurt anything?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 10 Replies
Abigail is four and a half months old and has developed a recent fascination with cups. She is not too much interested when someone is eating, as much as she is with someone when they are drinking something.
Would it hurt to get maybe an open cup or even a sippy with a straw and put milk in it and let dad help her with it? Breastmilk is the only thing she is getting for a good four more months- (more than likely until she is one)lol.
I dont really want to be the one to give her the bm in a cup, I dont want to cause any issues although I suppose maybe a teaspoon or two in a cup from me wouldn't really hurt.
Input welcomed and requested!! thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I don't see why not. But if she drinks it as a "meal", I'd pump to replace that feeding. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
3 moms liked this

I would just give her a cup to play with for now...if she gets the idea of how to tip the cup after a bit then put BM in it, dont waste it for now

MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
ok

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I would just give her a cup to play with for now...if she gets the idea of how to tip the cup after a bit then put BM in it, dont waste it for now

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM
definitely not replacing meals here!! I love bf her and snuggling

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I don't see why not. But if she drinks it as a "meal", I'd pump to replace that feeding. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Cup is fine--it won't hurt her latch. And you're right, it's probably best to let someone else besides yourself offer it to her.
turttlemom
by Nayelli on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom is kinder-garden teacher, her school also have daycare and they use to feed bfing babies on a cup instead on a bottle, that works good

TTC2Long
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with tabi - just give her an empty cup to play with.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlexSosa
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I dont see any harm, as long as its less than 1oz. It would be a great way for her to practice drinking, I am using a cup for DS right now, he is 6mo, and he is pretty good at it.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM

When I went back to work at 4 months, my dd went straight to the cup. I don't see anything wrong with that. But I do agree with Tabi, trying it empty is probably best if you don't want to waste milk. :) 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM
My son loved playing with an empty cup.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I'm with tabi - just give her an empty cup to play with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)