Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

can't stop puking..please help....Update in pink

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 4 Replies

I guess I have the stomach bug that my family has been passing around to each other. I woke up at 3am last night and puked my guts out and I haven't been able to stop since. I am dry heaving so hard and so much that it feels like I am going to puke out my actual stomach. Now my question here is, I am breastfeeding my 5m old dd and she has never taken a bottle ever. I am worried about her getting this and I am also worried about not being hydrated enough to make enough milk for her.I drink a cap full of water and 15 mins later (if that) its back up. Should I be worried about this? will one day of non stop puking effect my milk?

Thank you all for your help, I have never been that sick before it was bad. I puked every 15mins from 3am till 6pm when I finally got zofran from the doctor. I am still having to take it every 2 hours so I dont get sick. I have never had that drug before it kind of numbs your stomach so you can't puke even when you really need to, or feel like you need to. I had nothing to puke so I just dry heaved I had to drink water just to give my self something to throw up.

SO I haven't puked since 6pm last night but I still feel really crappy. My little baby does not like that I am not up for playing with her. Even when I feed her it makes me feel like I am going to puke. I almost puked on her yesterday I had to set her down mid feeding and run. I finally had to call a sitter to come over and take care of my kids till my dh got home from work so I could sleep. It has been a very long couple of days and I cannot wait till this is over with! My milk is not as much as it normally is but its still there. Syd has to work a little harder to get it then normal and she gets really mad at her boobie and yells at it. I am hoping I will be able to eat more then ice chips and get some more fluid in me so my milk gets back to normal.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
She has already been exposed by being around you and living in the same house with sick people. Breastfeeding poses no additional risk and actually offers protection through her getting the antibodies you're making for this bug.

No, one day of puking won't affect your milk, especially if you keep nursing on demand. The lack of hydration might cause a temporary dip, but it'll pick back up as soon as you're hydrated again as long as the demand is still there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Your supply might drop a bit, but since she's five months it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Nursing will make antibodies for the bug so even if she gets it, it won't be as bad. For yourself, call your doctor and see what they recommend for the nausea. Ginger ale (not diet) may be easier to keep down than water. Hope this helps! Feel better soon!
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM
This!

Quoting larissalarie:

She has already been exposed by being around you and living in the same house with sick people. Breastfeeding poses no additional risk and actually offers protection through her getting the antibodies you're making for this bug.

No, one day of puking won't affect your milk, especially if you keep nursing on demand. The lack of hydration might cause a temporary dip, but it'll pick back up as soon as you're hydrated again as long as the demand is still there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM
This

I got food poisoning when DS was 8 months & went to urgent care to get rehydrated. I still nursed DS through it, & my supply was back to normal within a few days.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN