Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Formula for jaundice- 4 day old baby

Posted by   + Show Post
My sister in law had her ds Monday, she wasn't due until February 14th- her water broke. He's doing well, his blood sugar dipped and there was a slight infection so he was on an iv but that's all cleared up. Well now he's jaundiced so they're supplementing his feeding with formula to get the jaundiced cleared up so that hopefully he can go home tomorrow. I told my mom I wouldn't want them doing formula for fear of messing up her supply this early. But apparently the nurse practitioner has been practicing for 38 years and really know her stuff. (that was her response). I realize I'm not an expert, so maybe they do have to give him formula it just seems strange to me. I'm also irritated with my mom that she said they "had" to do it. She ebf'd 8 kids. Of course, she's also not supportive of my desire to tandem nurse when the baby gets here. Maybe I'm just being hormonal and this is perfectly normal. Lol I just needed to vent a bit.
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
crheinheimer
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM
With him still being in the hospital too I doubt they are even questioning anything they're making them do. My sil is only 19 or 20. But you're right WheelerWife, parents are weird! Lol
luna321
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Wow 13? They shouldn't even be concerned, that's a very normal level. All he needs is to nurse nurse nurse and get some sunlight if possible.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM
4 moms liked this

Two of my babies were jaundiced. The first we just kept an eye on, formula was never mentions, just nurse frequently. The second was a premie and was in the NICU for 6 days. Again, he was tube fed my colostrum/milk while he was learningn to breastfeed, and had to be under the bili lights for a couple of days. Never a drop of formula.

This lady may have "38 years of experience" but if she is not well informed about breastfeeding medicine then that 38 yrs does not mean squat. It is not very hard to find the latest research based protocols, like this one from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Protocols/Protocol%2022%20Jaundice.pdf

annaica
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM

wanted to offer one more link- this has a lot of resources.

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-jaundice/

JenB1983
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM
My middle kiddo was jaundiced. There was one nurse in particular that tried to force formula on me. She ended up with a complaint filed against her. And my son still never had formula.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM

http://bilitool.org/ says baby is at low risk

piwife
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM
My dd had jaundice. Levels were 22 which are high... she didn't get one drop of formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

My first was jaundice (18 levels) and no one suggested formula.  In fact...they said to nurse, nurse, and more nursing him.  Ped and nurses all said Bf would clear jaundice quicker because he would poop more.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Babies dont die from jaundice...not unless its left untreated totally and that would take serious craziness high numbers

Quoting WheelerWife:

My guess is that she's scared. She's afraid of losing her grandson by not trying everything the nurse practioner suggests, regardless of what she really believes.

As far as the lack of support for your choice to tandem feed, my mom bf'ed my siblings for 9 months and firmly believes that extended breast feeding past 1 year is too much. Parents are weird. ;0)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Im going to chime in since i had a jaundixe baby. We did not use formula. They wanted tk be sure baby pooped a lot to pass the billiruben and got sunlight as well (they used a billiruben blanket at first and then the table). Formula is counterproduxtive. Breastmlk is a natural laxative and should be used instead. If they insist on measuring the amount of milj going into baby then she should pump and can give it throufg a syringe while baby suck on your finger, but still continue to nurse. Giving formula for jaundice is an ouydated way, and very poor way, of dealing with jaundice. The nurse should not be gving doctors advice anyways ( and hopefully she has a doctor that is up to date with research and is breatsfeeding friendlu.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)