Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Formula for jaundice- 4 day old baby

Posted by   + Show Post
My sister in law had her ds Monday, she wasn't due until February 14th- her water broke. He's doing well, his blood sugar dipped and there was a slight infection so he was on an iv but that's all cleared up. Well now he's jaundiced so they're supplementing his feeding with formula to get the jaundiced cleared up so that hopefully he can go home tomorrow. I told my mom I wouldn't want them doing formula for fear of messing up her supply this early. But apparently the nurse practitioner has been practicing for 38 years and really know her stuff. (that was her response). I realize I'm not an expert, so maybe they do have to give him formula it just seems strange to me. I'm also irritated with my mom that she said they "had" to do it. She ebf'd 8 kids. Of course, she's also not supportive of my desire to tandem nurse when the baby gets here. Maybe I'm just being hormonal and this is perfectly normal. Lol I just needed to vent a bit.
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
JasonsMom2007
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Yeah the risk with jaundice is neurological damage which my son may have from his jaundice.  But his levels dropped dramatically once they put him under lights.  Under 16 doesn't even require treatment besides nursing!  His level hit 27 and he never had formula.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Babies dont die from jaundice...not unless its left untreated totally and that would take serious craziness high numbers

Quoting WheelerWife:

My guess is that she's scared. She's afraid of losing her grandson by not trying everything the nurse practioner suggests, regardless of what she really believes.

As far as the lack of support for your choice to tandem feed, my mom bf'ed my siblings for 9 months and firmly believes that extended breast feeding past 1 year is too much. Parents are weird. ;0)

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
cdbbld12
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

The same thing happened to me with my second child. I was very set on brestfeeding and told them I would absolutely not give my newborn baby formula. We ended up coming to a compromise and they asked me to pump my milk supply and feed her so they would know how much she was getting. This still made no sense to me, but I at least did that. 

crheinheimer
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Apparently his levels are rising- 10 yesterday and 13 today so in addition to the formula they're going to start photo therapy tonight. I suggested to my mom that she read the Dr. Sears article but she didn't. I think they'd listen to her. I suppose he's not my son and I can't do anything about it, but it frustrates me. Thanks for all the great information, most of which I didn't know. I just hope the baby doesn't have issues nursing after this.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM
3 moms liked this

They did formula BEFORE the light therapy wtf is wrong with them? levels are going up because formula makes jaundce worse!! It constipates

Quoting crheinheimer:

Apparently his levels are rising- 10 yesterday and 13 today so in addition to the formula they're going to start photo therapy tonight. I suggested to my mom that she read the Dr. Sears article but she didn't. I think they'd listen to her. I suppose he's not my son and I can't do anything about it, but it frustrates me. Thanks for all the great information, most of which I didn't know. I just hope the baby doesn't have issues nursing after this.

Nolanzo
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM
My son was jaundice and I refused to give him any formula... Despite pressure from the ped, the hospital, and SOs family. I don't believe there are any benefits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I'm not all that educated with jaundice, but a friend of mine had her son (only like a week or a couple days early) and after he'd gone home, and went back in for a dr appt, they said he had jaundice. She reasoned with them that since he hadn't lost much weight, she asked for another day. She went home and they sat by the window and she nursed him. The next day they went back in, he hadn't lost any weight, so they got another day at home. He never had ANY formula, and his jaundice cleared up on its own with BM. Being that early though and depending on how bad the jaundice was, I'm sure formula is easier and faster? I'm not sure.

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Both my children were in extra days due to jaundice.  Formula was suggested, but not given.  We nursed on demand and then syringed expressed milk into the babies after feeding.  (Jaundice makes a baby lethargic and unable to feed with enthusiasm, so having the extra milk literally poured gives them all the goodness of breastmilk without them expending calories to get it...).

WheelerWife
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom2Just1:

My first was jaundice (18 levels) and no one suggested formula.  In fact...they said to nurse, nurse, and more nursing him.  Ped and nurses all said Bf would clear jaundice quicker because he would poop more.

That is exactly what my dr told me when my dd had jaundice too. Formula was never mentioned.

crheinheimer
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I'm thinking more and more that the nurse practitioner is an idiot! I'm so glad I have all of this information now tho for my next baby, just in case!
Mitzi31
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Dd had jaundice. Seemed pretty bad to me but my doc said it's common and just to keep bfing and doit as often as possible and it'll go away. I was worried she'd have to go under lights or something but it ended up clearing up. I'd read that it's fairly rare that it gets bad enough to where you have to actually take action. Some docs WANT to take action just to be safe but it's not always necessary. I don't know how bad her ds was but I do think docs are WAAAAY to quick to throw that formula into the mix. I was glad my doc is so pro BFing but I would have gotten another opinion before I gave forumla. Like you say it could mess with supply and also mess up his latch.

Although he was born premature so I don't know about that one...

I wish him luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN