Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what birth control do you as a breast feeding mom use?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 22 Replies

I go for my 6. weeks check up tomorrow and have to decide on a BC? my ob/gyn is a guy not sure he will make a good recommendation that won't affect my milk supply so I figured I would ask around. before baby I used NuvAring and liked that. thanks

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Bf compatible bc is
Paraguard, mirena, mini pill, diaphragm, condoms, depo (although id be hesitant as it can't quickly be undone if.problems arise)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Personally, I've done mirena, depo and mini pill. I will be getting my tubes tied the next month or 2.
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I'm getting mirena. My friend has used mirena after baby #1 and nuvaring after baby #2
AngryBob
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM
My six week appt is on the 23rd, and I'm leaning towards the paraguard, which is the copper IUD.
gumeshoe
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

loestrin

annaica
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM

i used depo with my son, it made me gain weight tho.  i tried to take the mini pill but it's so hard for me to remember!  honestly i started using an app on my phone that helped me chart my cycles and just wouldn't have sex during the ovulation time and we used condoms.  Other than that breastfeeding kept me from getting pregnant until she got closer to weaning.  

Autumn19
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM
none. I hate taking pills. The depo messed with my body and made it hard to get pregnant. And the 2 people i know that got iuds hate them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

honestly...nothing, I have never ovulated while nursing so I'm not too concerned about it. I know my body well enough and I know how to track cm so like I just said I'm not too concerned at the moment :) when my lo does get closer to weaning we will just switch to condoms

Titana
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I got the mirena 8wks pp. My baby girl is almost 6 months now and I love the mirena. I couldn't be happier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ljpaszek
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I got my 2nd para guard today! It was my 6 week post partum check up! I had it for 4 years and loved it, plus there isn't the hormones like Mirena and other birth controls (which I can't have because I have an allergic reaction)! I got it after I had my first daughter, got it removed and 3 months later I was pregnant with my baby girl! I would recomend it to anyone who isn't looking for birth control as a way to have less periods or lighter periods and things like that. If you want a BC that just has the side effects of not having more babies for a while its awesome!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN