Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

depo shot not losing weight? & bf as a bc?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
  • 6 Replies
So the depo shot makes you gain weight and is hard to lose weight on it? How does bf work as a bc? Who is using bf as bc?
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

The ONLY way bfing can be  used as a bc & be even slightly reliable is to nurse every 2 hrs during the day &  go no more than 3 or 4 hrs at night. No paci's no bottles & it's not reliable after 6 months when you start  solids. I knw nothing about the depo shot because I can't do hormonal bc.

BabyFruit Ticker

SalemWitchChild
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Depo is horrible BC. I blame 4 yrs of use on my fertility issues. There are 10 yrs between our two kids because of it. IMO you should get off it immediately.

Yes you will gain weight on it and won't be able to lose it while on the shot. It makes the uterus inhospitable for pregnancy.

• First, it prevents the ovaries from releasing an egg, which is also known as ovulation.
  • Second, it thickens the cervical mucus which acts as a barrier preventing the sperm from reaching the egg.
  • Third, it changes the lining of the uterus preventing implantation. Ethical Consideration.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/preventingpregnancy/depoprovera.html

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Lactation amenhorea method.
See if you meet the guidlines.
Ecological breastfeeding is more a child spacing thing then actual bc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM
I gsined 30 lbs over a year on depo. Ot didn't matter what i ate or how active i was. I used bfing as birth control until last month (6 month pp) when aunt flo returned!
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I've actually lost weight while on the depo. I got the first shot in October and I was 166. I now weigh 159.

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I got the depo after having my son. I didn't lose or gain weight but I did lose a lot of hair. Thankfully I have a lot of thick hair, but it still freaked me out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)