Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pushy mom-in-law

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM
  • 8 Replies
I have recently been pumping a lot of milk, so I can stock up. I am in a play and will have to be away from baby a few hours a day, for nine days. As if pumping isn't enough of a pain, my mother-in-law keeps asking why I don't supplement with formula. After telling her twice that I am not interested in doing so, she went out and bought some "just in case". I asked my husband why she is so pushy about the formula and he replied that I was just as bad the other way. Ha! They are MY children! I don't understand why people think that they have a right to tell you how you should raise your own kids!
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Sounds like my MIL. Except she's that way about epidurals. And reusable diapers.

Jeez, lady, let ME be the mother of my child... I've learned it's best to just not bring the subject up and if it does come up to just sort of be off in my own world and let it die off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thoughtfulmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Just makes me mad cause I don't push my beliefs on people. I am always open to discussion and research, but if I feel like you are not right, then accept that you will not convince me.
Ama2Gunner
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Please tell me she is not going to be the one watching your child for those 9 days. You know she's going to give your baby formula instead of your milk.

And watch out for this type of thing later. People like this like to step all over other boundaries, too. Make sure it's clear to her right now, that this behavior isn't going to be tolerated. That she can be respectful of your wishes for your child, or she can not see your child. And your husband needs to be on the same page.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh I don't like his answer at all. Did he miss the memo that you are his wife and the mother of the child?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thoughtfulmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM
When it comes to feeding the baby, my vote is the only one that counts because the boobs belong to me. It would be nice to have my hubby support though. After 10 years I am beginning to suspect him mom is "unknowingly" manipulating him. I think, she thinks, formula will be easy for my husband to give our daughter while I am gone, because it will make her feel "more full". Stupidity all around.
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Quoting IrishIz: Oh I don't like his answer at all. Did he miss the memo that you are his wife and the mother of the child?

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM
You need to be sure that your husband is on board and understands how important it is for your baby to not get formula. Show him the risks of formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell her (and HIM) that feeding formula to a breastfed baby will cause horrid constipation.  Then open up the formula and dump it down the toilet in front of them both.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)