Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Im starving my baby

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • 36 Replies

Today I was told that I am starving my baby by giving her to much breastmilk and not enough solid foods. I thought that up until a year breastmilk was all they needed. I feel like a bad mom being told that im starving her I thought I was doing the right thing by mostly feeding her breastmilk. Any advice or anyone know of any websites that say they dont need more solids and less breastmilk but the other way around

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Don't worry, so am i. ;)

Doctors are crazy. You're fine.

Check out kellymom.com

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuickMomma
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Who told you that?That is very untrue.Many parents do child led weaning and are very healthy.My youngest daughter actually refused solids till she was about a year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Whoever told you that ignore!  Breastmilk should be the main nutrition until 12 months. Most people are used to formula fed babies who usually need the solids because the formula isn't enough. My son didn't eat a full meal in a day until well after 1. Ignore the  ignorant of breastfeeding

BabyFruit Ticker

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Keep in mind doctors get little to no training in breastfeeding or nutrition. As long as you nurse first and offer solids you are doing the right thing. Ignore the doctor.

christineT79
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

This is the way I look at it. If my baby was crying & not growing & meeting milestones then I would think she was starving. As long as she's growing, making her diaper counts & not misrable then she is fine. My pedi thinks I'm nuts because I want to do baby led solids & that might mean that she isnt eating solids until 9 months. As long as my baby is healthy & growing then I think she's fine.

cadditalbrat
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
my ds and dd wouldn't even try solids until they were over 10 months. That's just stupid. You're baby is not starving and you're not doing anything wrong. You are doing what is right for you and your baby. As long as you keep that in mind and continue to do what you think is right your baby will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting DougiesGirls:

Today I was told that I am starving my baby by giving her to much breastmilk and not enough solid foods.

Nope. We've seen babies lose weight on solids, actually. Is baby making milestones? Who is this idiot telling you lies?

I thought that up until a year breastmilk was all they needed. I feel like a bad mom

The ONLY bad mom is the one who beats her baby.

being told that im starving her I thought I was doing the right thing by mostly feeding her breastmilk. Any advice or anyone know of any websites that say they dont need more solids and less breastmilk but the other way around

Kellymom.com. IGNORE this person... they're WRONG.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

A starving baby doesn't grow AT ALL. Not one single ounce ever.

A starving baby doesn't cry, ever, about anything.

A starving baby SLEEPS excessively. This and the not crying conserves energy.

Does your baby meet these criteria? 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM
This! Ignore whoever told you this. It is wrong.
kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting DougiesGirls:

Today I was told that I am starving my baby by giving her to much breastmilk and not enough solid foods.

Nope. We've seen babies lose weight on solids, actually. Is baby making milestones? Who is this idiot telling you lies?

I thought that up until a year breastmilk was all they needed. I feel like a bad mom

The ONLY bad mom is the one who beats her baby.

being told that im starving her I thought I was doing the right thing by mostly feeding her breastmilk. Any advice or anyone know of any websites that say they dont need more solids and less breastmilk but the other way around

Kellymom.com. IGNORE this person... they're WRONG.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corkysunshine
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Listen to gdiamante shes very helpful. Don't listen to whoever told you your starving your lo
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN