Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

breastfeeding and c-section

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this
So I am having a c-section march 11th and I am wanting to at least try breast feeding. What is the best way to get a good start and to get baby to latch on well. I also have sort of flatter nipples. I didn't have a great go at feeding my twins so any ideas advice would be great.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rHOPEb
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I had to have an emergency c-section with my 2nd and found using a boppy pillow very painful.  So, I propped up my arms with pillows on the sides.  Also, nursing in a reclined position was best (not flat laying nor sitting straight up).  I held my son to the side (like a football sort-of) in one arm and then held my breast with the free hand.  That enabled me to get him to latch better, and I could see what he was doing to correct any issues.  It was just too painful to have him lay on my front for about a week.  I was able to nurse right away too!  So, don't let the doctors and nurses to try to tell you otherwise.  

As far as the flat nipples.....I will let another chime in b/c I'm not sure.   Congrats on your newest lil one!!!

sophiesister2
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I had a csect with my dd and am still breastfeeding(shes 1 now) just never give up! This group is really helpful
MommyJill87
by Jill on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I also found the boppy kind of annoying, side lying is awesome as is the football hold in the beginning.  I always was badgering the nurses right after, I want my baby I want my baby lol.  Just get the baby to the boob as soon as you can and you'll be fine!

piwife
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

nipple shells. buy them now. i think you can start wearing them a lil prior to bith, they will help draw your nipples out.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Offer early and often. Don't supplement. Don't give up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Breast shells. You can wear them now. Not to be confused with nipple shields.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM
This. Get shells and start wearing them now.
Nursing after a C-section is only different due to dealing with the incision. Ask to have your baby at the breast ASAP after birth. My second was brought to me as soon as I got into recovery to nurse. The nurse helped me roll to my side since I was still numb. He latched immediately and went to town.

Quoting piwife:

nipple shells. buy them now. i think you can start wearing them a lil prior to bith, they will help draw your nipples out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM
http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/newborn-concerns/c-section/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Ask in recovery to have baby and keep asking. Also see about having someone stay that first night with you because it will still be tender trying to take care of baby. I agree with the nipple shells, start those now. Keep in mind baby may loose up to 12% from birth weight and that isn't a reason to need to supplement.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Boppy was a lifesaver after my c section. Helped me keep weigt off my incision and kept my arms from getting tired.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)