Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

starting the weening process...maybe?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so I know that there will be strong feeling about this, but I need to get some input from someone other than my hubby.  I have a 1 yr old who has been exclusively bf, no bottles, no formula EVER.  He's a great little nurser, but over the course of the last few months I have gone from nursing 5-6 times a day to close to 12 times a day and all night long.  The little guy won't sleep in our bed with us, so it makes for a very draining experience.  He's got a great appetite and eats solids 5 times a day (3 meals 2 snacks) and 10ish ounces of water a day.  So I've decided that I'm gonna limit the availability of the breast ( I know this might spark issues with other users), I'm currently trying to limit him to 3 nursing during the day and maybe once at night since I know he can sleep through the night but lately has just wanted a sip or comfort nurse constantly at night.  I have been giving him a sippy with pumped breast milk for the other feedings when he is acting like he wants to nurse, any suggestions for easing the transition for him?? 

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Replies (11-18):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I recommend cutting back very slowly as far as limiting....maybe push the time between nursings before fully cutting one whole session.

Limiting for sanity is fine after a year

star33
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

no advice,good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quoting MrsPickett:

Ok so I know that there will be strong feeling about this, but I need to get some input from someone other than my hubby.  

Smart woman. Hubbies tend to be too ignorant in this arena. **smile**

I have a 1 yr old who has been exclusively bf, no bottles, no formula EVER.  He's a great little nurser, but over the course of the last few months I have gone from nursing 5-6 times a day to close to 12 times a day and all night long.  

Pretty normal as all kinds of things change in his world. Babies are no different from the rest of us... they don't really like change and so they retreat to the familiar.

The little guy won't sleep in our bed with us, so it makes for a very draining experience.  He's got a great appetite and eats solids 5 times a day (3 meals 2 snacks) and 10ish ounces of water a day.  So I've decided that I'm gonna limit the availability of the breast ( I know this might spark issues with other users),

No reason not to night wean. Put dad in charge of wakeups.

I'm currently trying to limit him to 3 nursing during the day

Actually, DON'T limit in the daytime. It will make the nighttime easier. 

and maybe once at night since I know he can sleep through the night but lately has just wanted a sip or comfort nurse constantly at night.  I have been giving him a sippy with pumped breast milk for the other feedings when he is acting like he wants to nurse, any suggestions for easing the transition for him?? 

Nurse at will in the daytime. It's OK to say no if it's not convenient but don't say no just for the sake of a quota. See drjaygordon.com for THE BEST info in the world on night weaning.

MrsPickett
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Thank you ladies for all the advise/encouragement.  Apparently I decided to do this when he was ready and I just didn't know yet.  The little guy slept an entire 13 hours last night (without waking at all) then only wanted to nurse the 3 times today that I've decided will work for me.  I still offered him 2 sippy cups of pumped milk in the in between times and he was just not interested.  This has been the best thing for us...I think I can go a bit longer on nursing YAY!! and now when he does nurse it's actually an active nurse and I get way more cuddle time during the day...best decision yet!! (I think he must be getting the same amt of milk, because I changed more wet diapers today than I usually do LOL) So happy this has been a good experience!! 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

WHOOO HOOO thats awesome mom

Quoting MrsPickett:

Thank you ladies for all the advise/encouragement.  Apparently I decided to do this when he was ready and I just didn't know yet.  The little guy slept an entire 13 hours last night (without waking at all) then only wanted to nurse the 3 times today that I've decided will work for me.  I still offered him 2 sippy cups of pumped milk in the in between times and he was just not interested.  This has been the best thing for us...I think I can go a bit longer on nursing YAY!! and now when he does nurse it's actually an active nurse and I get way more cuddle time during the day...best decision yet!! (I think he must be getting the same amt of milk, because I changed more wet diapers today than I usually do LOL) So happy this has been a good experience!! 

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM

To me 12 mos is still so young, and should be breastfed, BUT. 12 times a day, solids 5 times a day & night nursing, WOW. thats too much! I would be trying to slow him down too, lol. Maybee he is comfort nursing alot and not actually eating. Only advice I can give you is say no, & try to distract with something cooler then boobies...

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Yay!! :) 

Quoting MrsPickett:

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

Denisethedaring
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a great plan to me...I have no suggestions that sound better than what you're already doing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN